Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
scoreboard project help — Parallax Forums

scoreboard project help

w. williamsw. williams Posts: 9
edited 2005-02-15 18:33 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using the NX1000 board with a BS2 stamp and i'm trying to do a scoreboard project.··I want to know how can i run a clock, 3 counters, and 4 switches.· It looks as if there are only 16 pins available, are there more?· Right now, the clock takes up 11 pins, leaving only 5 for the counters and switches.· I hope this is enough information, please help!!!

Comments

• BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-02-15 18:22
    Can you explain in more detail what kind of clock and counters you have? are they 7seg LED displays? how many digits does each have?
    Take a look at the 2 PDF documents found on this page:
    http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1490&filterID=529
    They have some EXCELLENT PIN conservation ideas. The designs are not for Basic Stamp, but should work with any microcontroller.
    Also search through other designs on this page:
    http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1469&filter1=function

there might be more usefull information in some of these subsections.
    ·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-15 18:33
    If you have (or download) the StampWorks book you'll find two simple parts that are useful in expanding IO: the 74HC595 serial-in-parallel-out shift register (get eight outputs from just three pins), and the 74HC164 parallel-in-serial-out shift register (get eight inputs with just three Stamp pins). Without additional parts you can share the clock line and cut your IO requirement down to five pins.

And they can be daisy-chained. If you've got the power supply, and easy was to control 7-segment displays is to daisy-chain a few 74HC595s -- again, StampWorks shows how.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA