Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Quadravox — Parallax Forums

Quadravox

RussellRussell Posts: 5
edited 2005-02-16 02:18 in BASIC Stamp
I had been using the Quadravox QV306M1 which I pruchased from their web site.· It worked OK until I think I fried something on it.

I recently purchased what I thought was the same board from Parallax but it was the QV360M4-P board instead.· The volume on this new board is much lower - maybe because of the on-board amplifier size.· The size though, is much bigger than the QV306M1.· I can see on the specs that there are differences between the two boards.

1. Can anyone tell me why Quadravox only sell the QV306M1, and why Parallax only sells the QV360M4?
2. Is there a problem with using the QV306M1 with the Basic Stamp?
3. Also, because of the bigger size my project doesn't fit in my project box (which is an art project and took a lot of time to build).· Can I bend the pins on the QV360M4-P so the project fits?· Any ideas?
4. Any ideas about increasing the volume?

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-02-15 12:49
    1. Parallax is only a distributor, and only sells items most likely to be used with their product line. Parallax doesn't sell all of Quadravox's products for the same reason Best Buy doesn't sell every Sony product.
    2. You mean the M1 or the M4? Either way, probably not, but it depends on what you're doing.
    3. I'd buy a right-angle adapter so you don't have to bend the pins. Digikey and Mouser would sell them. You could also get leads from a female adapter to a male adapter, and you could put it anywhere in the box.
    4. The QV360M4 has a default volume setting, I believe, which is lower than the max volume. You need to send a 'change volume' command and a byte value 0 (min) to 31 (max) to set it. Read the datasheet, and it will explain it further.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-15 13:23
    To get more volume you'll have to use the Aout pin with an external amplifier.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-02-15 14:59
    Jon,
    Isn't the default setting for volume only half the max? I think it has 32 or 64 settings, and it defaults to half...? If I'm right, he can increase the volume by a factor of 2 without an amp (if that's sufficient for his app).

Dave
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-15 16:46
    My assumption was that he read and understood the docs and was using the onboard amp to its fullest (but that's only an assumption).

Speakers also make a difference. A cheap speaker, especially that is not enclosed will sound horrible compared to properly-enclosed speaker. I often use those little bookshelf speakers from RadioShack when I need something small with decent volume.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-02-15 18:29
    Russell,
    Looks like there's 64 volume settings. Try adding this to your code:

VOL CON $fc

SEROUT (pin for Qvox), (baudrate), [noparse][[/noparse]VOL]
    SEROUT (pin for Qvox), (baudrate), [noparse][[/noparse]63]

I "believe" the default setting for the Qvox (when powered up) is 31 or there about, based on personal experience with the thing. This will increase it's power output by 2.

Dave
  • RussellRussell Posts: 5
    edited 2005-02-16 02:18
    You guys are great.· Thanks for the feedback!!!