Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
polulu overheating — Parallax Forums

polulu overheating

davidssdavidss Posts: 5
edited 2005-02-13 20:50 in BASIC Stamp
My polulu Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller is shutting off while driving a motor. I believe it is shutting off because it is overheating, since it does not shut off at slower speeds and takes longer to shut off if I point a fan at the polulu. My multimeter is reading that its only drawing .1 Amps and polulu claims it can give 1 Amp. Is my polulu busted? Am I supposed to attach a heatsink to it? Should I be giving the motor supply pin more voltage (its getting 5v right now and the polulu is shutting off when I try to give 3.0v to the motor).

Thanks for your help

-DAvid

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-02-12 22:12
    Hello,

It sounds like your Polulu motor controller could be·damaged.· Does it still get hot without driving the motor?· If so, it could be in thermal runaway.· Make sure that your motor falls within the specifications of motor controller and your power supply too.· Has it ever worked for a descent period time?

Dave·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • davidssdavidss Posts: 5
    edited 2005-02-12 23:09
    It does not get hot when not driving the motor. I've been getting this behavior since I set it up. It only happens when I'm driving the motor to its limit (3.0v), which draws just .1 Amps.

]\David
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-02-12 23:16
    David -

Based on the information on the following Pololu web page, the MINIMUM operating voltage for the motor controller is 5.6 volts DC. If you are only supplying 5 volts DC it may be as simple as that.
    http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0101/

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • davidssdavidss Posts: 5
    edited 2005-02-13 20:50
    That is for the Dual Serial Motor Controller. We are using the Micro Dual Serial Controller. According to the specs and the manual the motor supply voltage should be 1.8-9.0V.