Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Needing assistance — Parallax Forums

Needing assistance

ChaslieChaslie Posts: 7
edited 2005-02-10 21:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have a limited knowledge of electronics and need·assistance on a project that I am trying to do.

I am wanting to make a prototype of what I think should be a fairly simple device that will play a short audio clip (less than 1 sec) when activated by motion.· In this case, I am referring to·when the device itself·is·moved and not·to a motion sensor that detects another object's motion.

More specifically, I·want·the device to trigger a short·audio clip (like a door slam or a gun firing, for example)·when it reaches a certain magnitude of acceleration, inertia, or perhaps velocity.· I also want·it to·be able·to·reset and trigger·the audio clip again in under one second so that it can replay the audio clip·repeatedly if it experiences·a vibration or oscillation of sufficient magnitude.

In order to accomplish this, what all do I need?··Would an accelerometer or some other kind of inertia switch work? ·Also, is there anyone out there who·engineers schematic designs·for prototypes?··I would appreciate any help.· Thanks,

Chuck

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-10 20:18
    Hi Chaslie,

There was a thread on speech chips in the last month.· Do a search for the post....or hopefully someone will have it handy.

What is the 'object' that you are moving....is it something that can have an acceleromater attached to it.· You can certainly get the acceleration/force data from one of these.· But would a couple of opto's work too...depends on what you're moving.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-02-10 20:20
    Actually, the post was just down the list there...so no searching required.

here's the thread link: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=524677

Just a tip....try to be more descriptive in your posts' subject field.· Sure we all need help, but some people are picky about the posts they read and yours isn't an eye catcher....I'm just nosey!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • ChaslieChaslie Posts: 7
    edited 2005-02-10 21:29
    Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post. An example of an application I am thinking of using it for is putting it inside a ball or a toy car. This is just an experiment I'm trying out but the catch is I don't want the device to trigger the audio clip until a certain magnitude of acceleration or velocity is reached so I don't know if an opto would work or not.
    edited 2005-02-10 21:54
    well, what I was think so far as an opto was....if it was a platform....you could have a plate with a couple holes in it that pass inline with an opto.· So, if you jump on the platform, the opto switches really fast....so based on how quickly this count occurs you could issue your audio clip.

Of course, in a toy it's different.· If the toy is a car....you could put a hall affect sensor in there and count how many times it 'passes' in a given time and issue your clip.

These components are a bit cheaper than an accelerometer....but an accel. is more fun!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve