Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Driving LCD with an AT89C2051 — Parallax Forums

Driving LCD with an AT89C2051

BrandonBrandon Posts: 3
edited 2005-02-10 00:54 in BASIC Stamp
I bought a kit to run a lcd using serial instead of parrallel.· I understand there are already LCDs capable of this but I saved a bundle buying this lcd kit.· It came with the LCD (16x2), the AT89C2051 chip, a 11.0592 crystal, a capicitor (I don't have it on hand but I think it was 1uF), and a POT.· They unfortunatly did not give instructions on how to hook it up.· Does anyone know where I can find an example for this.· I have it hooked up...but can't get it to work.· I've tried doing it in several different ways and I'm not sure how many more ways I can vary it.·

Thanks in a advance for any help provided.

·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-09 13:43
    You should ask the supplier for instructions or a refund.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-09 14:40
    I just bought a product real cheap, but their support sucks.
    So I think I'll ask their competitor to support it for them.
    No wonder they can sell it cheap.

I have learned the hard way that price is NOT everything.

I currently have over 100 graphics LCD that are totally useless because it would cost many times what I paid for them to connect them to anything. But I got them real cheap...

Companies like Parallax may have slightly higher prices but are probably making less money, because they have excellent support for their products.
    I'm sure Jon doesn't do this out of the goodness of his heart.
    Support cost alot of money and they get ZERO profit from it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for competition.
    But don't ask someone to give you help with a competitor's product.

Sorry for the rant, got up on the wrong side of bed this morning...

Bean.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-09 16:00
    I'd like to think that I have a pretty good heart.... I love our customers, and will help anyone I can.· In this particular case there was no mention of the supplier or actual·part number -- I'm not sure Kreskin could help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-10 00:54
    Bean said...
    Support cost alot of money and they get ZERO profit from it.

They may not get immediate profit from the support. But companies that provide good support get long term profit from repeat customers and referrals from existing customers. One of the reasons I choose the stamp instead of various other similar products was because of Parallax's support. And with the support you get from their products, your cost, in the long run, is actually less than other alternatives.

Just my $0.02.

Jim