edited 2005-02-11 02:51
    Hmmm...tight package shocked.gif

Can't wait to see the docs/specs.

good job Parallax

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-02-11 03:11
    USB 2.0 Only!

Major bummer. sad.gif

This device is really different from what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of their Oscope. But this is specific to the stamp and nothing else. OTH, what it does looks pretty powerful for debugging stamp apps.

Now, do I get a USB 2.0 card for my laptop? I was thinking of pursuing an SX chip for my target platform. This won't help on that side of things. I hate decisions.

Jim
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-02-11 04:14
    Well, the good aspect about the sandwich approach of this device is that there are no probes involved. No probes reduces the cost significantly. Basically, you're getting the functionality of the USBee $300+ logic analyzers for less than a hundred bucks. This tool is really quite simple. The documentation will be posted tomorrow, along the the BASIC Stamp Logic Analyzer software.

And I can't believe you found that link. It's really difficult to keep our little secrets from you guys. As soon as you know just a little bit, you can pull the rest of the story out of us. Can't blame you for being effective. . .

I'll be interested in your feedback when you know more about this product [noparse][[/noparse]really soon].

Ken Gracey
  • Pinoy NYCPinoy NYC Posts: 30
    edited 2005-02-11 05:30

Hey Jim,

I feel the same way, I thought its a Logic Analyzer for general use.
    I dont know how you can use this product to test/probe part of your circuit, or a something that doesn't use stamp.

What about probing part of your circuit at the same time?... I guess I need another logic analyzer for that. shakehead.gif

But why would I need two? I guess I may have to stick with a more generic logic analyzer for now, a bit expensive but simple, and more flexible. I dont want to complicate my life using two logic analyzers at the same time. (Actually, I dont have anymore money to spend tongue.gif )

But the product makes the job simple and easy for probling stamp pins.

Any other plans making something along the lines of your scope?
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-11 11:15
    It IS a general use Logic analyzer...

What would happen if you plugged it into the experiment area of your carrier board and used wires from it(use the 16 pins that matches the BS2 IO pins in layout) to whatever points you want to measure?
    (You should also patch in the GND pin)

See?

smile.gif

But that 34 channel thing mentioned earlier...
    *Drool*
    (Too expensive at the moment... Road taxes and car insurance to pay in a month... )
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-11 12:20
    I'd say pretty damn good for $100 !
    Any plans to make a version or adapter for the SX ?
    20 channels is a perfect fit for the SX...
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.TerryHittConsulting.com
    ·
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-11 12:27
    Ken,

Can the logic analyzer be used with a DIP24 adapter cable to work with the Homework Board or the Basic Stamp 1, 2 and SX OEM modules?
    edited 2005-02-11 12:30
    Also,

Is there any chance of the software working under Windows 98 SE?
    edited 2005-02-11 15:50

Gadgetman, thanks for enligthen me.

Well, why not just make a logic analyzer along the lines of parallax scope?, which I think more generic.

And just make a shoe/adaptor for different stamp chips (similar to the one they just made) with a
    pigtail that you can plug in to the logic analyzer unit. They can also make shoe for PICs, AVRs, etc. if they want to.

This way, we only have to buy one logic analyzer for different stamp chips and just get the shoe that we want....
    and so we can still use regular probes too.

see?

yeah.gif

Post Edited (Pinoy NYC) : 2/11/2005 3:57:02 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-11 16:13
    just get a couple packs of these http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=MTC-5&type=store··and you can test any point on a board if you don't put a stamp in the carrier.
    edited 2005-02-11 16:35
    Paul is correct. You can plug the logic analyzer into a breadboard or any other socket and jumper the pins anywhere else.

No chance of Win98 support on this one, unfortunately. As for an SX version, maybe so.

Again, the probes don't come cheap. They cost more than the hardware in this case. In order to keep the retail price low we omitted probes from the design.

Ken Gracey
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-02-11 16:44
    To give you some perspective, the probes that come with the USBEE ($500? $250?) have tiny-tiny hooks on the end, that can be hooked onto a DIP in-circuit without shorting adjacent pins. Once you've installed 8 of these things, your project looks like knitting needles have been stuck in random places on your board. Putting 16 in -- well, you tend to use a "DIP-Clip" and connect to the ends of the clip just to organize the signal wiring.

When I first saw the BS2 socket design, I was a little disappointed because it does seem limiting. Then I saw it has 20 channels. On thinking more about it, this is a very practical form-factor for BS2 designs. Simple, minimal extra wiring, robust (no little clips falling off). I expect we'll soon be getting lots of Forum entries talking about EXACTLY how long various BS2 programs take -- now that they can be so easily measured. And $100 is a very good price-point.

The all-electronics solution with the chip plugged into a wire-less breadboard looks very practical, actually, if you want to go with the individual wire approach.
    edited 2005-02-11 19:23
    Ken said...
    Paul is correct. You can plug the logic analyzer into a breadboard or any other socket and jumper the pins anywhere else.
    Ok. I was wondering about that last night. (The things we think of at 2am.) That would make it much more flexible. Would you need to do anything specific with the pin on the stamp (input/output?) In order to have it not affect the results?

In any case, this is a lot of capability for the money. I just ordered one and looking forward to it arriving.

Jim
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2005-02-12 00:49
    Is this thing for sale right now Ken? I can see sockets pluged into sockets x2, too protect the pins. LOL
    edited 2005-02-12 01:04
    Yup. Big block on the home page of Parallax which points to www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30010.

Jim
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-12 01:40
    Wow, I see they're backordered already!

Wonder what the initial stock was that they sold out of!

Just checked my laptop...don't have usb2.0...crappity Smile Smile.· Now I'm thinking of buying a new desktop so I can use it! haha

It's like when I bought my Jeep...paid $30k for a crappy calendar and they threw in the Jeep for free! yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-02-12 03:12
    If your laptop has a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot, then you can add a USB 2 card for $30-$60.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-12 04:01
    Is that all they cost?

Was thinking $100+· Of course, it'd be in Canuck Bucks so it still might be....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    edited 2005-02-14 03:03
    Hi Ken,

I'm thinking of getting this logic analyzer but can't find a more detailed specs on your website.
    I'm also planning to use this for something else (not basic stamp) since you guys already posted some ideas.

I would like to know the Input Impedance and the Maximum input Voltage?

I hope you can also post other technical specifications if you have any.

Thanks.
    edited 2005-02-14 03:14
    Ok. Now I really want the logic analyzer I just order to show up. I'm trying to trouble shoot a stamp interface to an MMC chip and need to monitor chip enable, clock, data in, and data out. I'm trying to use the Parallax O'scope, but it's tough with only two signals.

UPS where are you??????? Boy I hope mine isn't one of the backordered ones!

Jim
    edited 2005-02-14 03:43
    Pinoy:

Maximum Input Voltage: +5.25V
    Minimum Input Voltage: -0.5V
    Input Low Level: < 0.8V
    Input High Level: > 2.0V
    Input Leakage Current: Max +/- 10uA
    Input Impediance: 300KOhm
    Input Capacitance: 10pF
    Operating Current (from USB VBUS): 260mA

I'll be sure this is added to the documentation, too.

By the way, "backordered" only until tomorrow. This just gave us some time to assemble some units with documentation. We have plenty of assembled units, they just have to be kitted from time to time.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.