Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Determining packet form controller — Parallax Forums

Determining packet form controller

MarkysparkyMarkysparky Posts: 21
edited 2005-02-04 09:54 in BASIC Stamp
OK I have an xbox controller.

the controller is USB

-need to determine the packets sent from it to the xbox console
-determine the packets sent from the xbox port (USB)

I want to make my own controller inorder to make it better.

How would I go about doing this...is it at all possible? The BS2 will be the slave usb device but I will first have to determine the code that the real controller sends in order to make this work on the BS2. I would assume that the xbox is master.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-04 00:45
    You might want to do an Internet search, but it's not likely Microsoft is very open with the Xbox controller protocol.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • MarkysparkyMarkysparky Posts: 21
    edited 2005-02-04 01:10
    I did a search and asked them numerous times with in the last week and had programmers from my robotics team talk to their sources but it is no where to be found. Is there a way to determine the xbox controller protocol using a computer or basic stamp? the basic stamp answe is probably no because it is not a master device right?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-04 03:34
    Not likely.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-04 08:40
    likely your only hope is to create a hardware USB sniffer, but a stamp isn't fast enough to record the data.
  • SteveWSteveW Posts: 246
    edited 2005-02-04 09:54
    > "I want to make my own controller inorder to make it better"

If it's different from the XBox controller, the drivers in the XBox won't talk to it, so that's a showstopper.
    If you want to make it better by changing its shape, changing the button layout, stuff like that, then why not take an exiting controller and chop it about? As long as you leave the wiring intact, you can pretty much do what you like. If you want to do things like insert sequences of button presses, the having a Stamp turn on relays across the switches themselves (or transistors, with a bit more thought) , would seem the easy way to do it.
    The USB documentation is here:
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usbspec.zip
    and devices like controllers (HID class) are described here:
    http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/HID1_11.pdf

These are relatively heavyweight standards, and should give you some idea of the scale of your project, if you choose to do it from scratch.

Steve