Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motor run project — Parallax Forums

Motor run project

kochirokochiro Posts: 9
edited 2005-02-03 22:27 in BASIC Stamp
Let me start this off by saying that I have just about zero experience with electrical circuits. I've done soldering and I've done high level programming (VB, C, C++....).

What I'm trying to build is basically a motor run tool. I race rc cars and we use a tool like this to break in the motors and measure how much amperage they draw to determine how "good" the motor is after being rebuilt. I spoke to Stephen in support and he recommended that I get the discovery kit, which I will once they are back in stock.

To begin with I don't need reverse and I don't need varying speed. Basically just an on/off type of scenario. Eventually I would like the tool to be able to run two motors at the same time. I would also like a user selectable timer function to run the motor for x amount of seconds, but that wouldn't be a required parameter. There are other times when a timer function would be more of a annoyance. The power supply will be an AC/DC power supply that can supply up to 24amps, but that will also need to be split with my charger so 7 will be available for each motor.

The part that I'm hoping for some help with is finding a motor controller that can handle up to 9-10 amps, plus as much guidance as possible. smile.gif

Thanks,
Jay

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-03 02:48
    If you don't need variable speed, I would just use a relay or maybe a SSR (solid state relay).
    Bean.
  • kochirokochiro Posts: 9
    edited 2005-02-03 21:53
    Bean, thanks for the reply, that's an option nobody has mentioned to me yet. Again since I'm totally new to this world could you perhaps point out some specific components that I can then go and research?

Thanks,
    Jay
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-02-03 22:27
    Jay -

Are you sure you mean 9-10 AMPS? That seems awfully high for most R/C Cars I'm familiar with. You must be rewinding these motrs with 18-20 gauge or heavier wire?

Your best bet is probably to find any motor cotroller that otherwise suits your needs (with timers, tach, etc) and then just add drive transistors on the output side. Just make sure that you fuse or otherwise protect the motors on the load side of the transistors. MOSFET transistors would probably be a good choice. Here is a good and inexpensive resource for them: http://www.glitchbuster.com/#Comp&Prod . Scan down to the Transistors area.

Ask Randy about the IRL530 which looks like a good bet. It's rated at 17 amps which should be more than adequate, even without a heat sink.

If that doesn't work out for you, I have a few spare MCB's (motor cotroller boards) aound here that will handle up to 30 amps at 12 volts DC, if you're at all interested. You can contact me here: bvbates @ usamailbox.com (squeeze out the spaces). They may be overkill, however.

Regards,

Bruce Bates