Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reducing noise so processor won't reset — Parallax Forums

Reducing noise so processor won't reset

chronisterchronister Posts: 17
edited 2005-02-06 22:24 in BASIC Stamp
Have you ever heard of the stamp resetting because of motor noise? I have noise suppression capacitors on my motors, but the stamp and motors are both driven by the same 7.4 battery. Therefore when the motors run, some kind of noise in the·battery supply causes the stamp to reset. Due to weight restrictions I cannot use separate batteries (and button cells are not a practical solution).·Is there some way I can filter the supply voltage so this won't happen?

(I am using Al Williams PAK coprocessors and the two motors are pulse width modulated for speed control.)

Thank you for your help!
Nathan

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-02-02 15:18
    Are you sure its noise and not that your pulling to much juice from the batteries?

do you have an oscilloscope to check the amount of noise.

the start of the motors plus whatever else your running on those batteries could be enough to pull it below the stamps brown-out

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • chronisterchronister Posts: 17
    edited 2005-02-02 21:35
    Hi. I'm pretty sure this is a noise issue. I'm using a 2 cell, 1200 mah lithium polymer battery that can put out 10 amps. The motors can draw 10 amps, but the processor resets at the slightest start of the motor, when the motor PWM is at a very low duty cycle. I don't have an oscilloscope.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-02-02 21:54
    You mention suppression capacitors on your motor.... do you have protection diodes as well?

I have used a bridge rectifier in the past. Tie the AC terminals on the bridge to the motor,
    tie the +(pos) on the bridge to your battery +(pos) and the -(neg) on the bridge to the battery -(neg)

Also you might use a diode capacitor filter to your uP circuitry.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-02-02 21:55
    Sounds like your Stamp may be browning out.· You might try a large cap -
    3300uf or larger on the positive lead of your battery.· You may have to go to a different power supply for your Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-02-02 22:01
    Outside of full rotor lock-up, the starting current for the motor is the highest current the battery ever sees. I doubt this is a noise issue. I suspect the Stamp is resetting due to a temporary brown-out condition.

You can probably prove this by putting almost any decent sized battery of the same voltage in parallel with the existing one and they trying it again. If it doesn't fail then, the problem is over-current causing a low voltage brown-out and not noise.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-03 02:28
    Just for testing: does the stamp have to be on the same supply as the motor?

Just power the stamp separately and you should be able to see if it works!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • chronisterchronister Posts: 17
    edited 2005-02-03 13:51
    Beau, thanks for the bridge rectifier suggestion. I don't know what this is, but I assume I can look it up online. You also said:

"Also you might use a diode capacitor filter to your uP circuitry."

Is a "diode capacitor filter" the same sort of circuit I have on my motor? What's "uP"?

Sid, you suggested a capacitor on the + battery lead. Did you mean that it should be across the battery leads?

I'll try it with a separate battery for test purposes. I should connect the grounds together, right?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-06 15:56
    Chronister,

·· "uP" = Micro-Processor...Or, more appropriately, your BASIC Stamp.· Usually written as µP, but the µ is hard for many to add to posts, since it's an extended character.

· As for the Capacitor across the leads, if you use a large electrolytic capacitor, you would tie the ends directly to the power leads.· This will provide somewhat of a reserve for surges on the power leads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-02-06 22:12
    Chronister,

A bridge rectifier is simply an arrangement of 4 diodes that can easily redirect an AC voltage into a DC
    voltage. In your case the AC voltage would be in the form of back EMF or "free wheeling" from the motor
    acting as a generator being directed back into the power supply.

I've included a "diode capacitor" filter that may be a bit over kill, but it should get the job done for most other
    applications where noise is a problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
    913 x 599 - 14K
    909 x 597 - 14K
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-06 22:24
    Those batteries...

What's their internal resistance?

And do they react immediately?
    (Some types of batteries can't deliver the full amperage immediately)
    I know that there are Lead-Acid batteries approx the same size as 'D-Size' cells that can deliver 400A instantly, but I believe those are the exception to the rule...
    (Found them in an old HP 110 portable... )