Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with transmitting data by IR — Parallax Forums

Need help with transmitting data by IR

Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
edited 2005-02-06 15:48 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a project were I need to transmit serial data by IR.· In other words I need to do what a TV remote does.· The data I need to send will be constantly changing based on user input.· I have tried to solve the problem myself, but being new have been unable to find the information I need and was hoping the forum community could help.· I have searched the following resources and found them only teaching about how to read data by IR from a·remote NOT how to generate it.
·
Resource consulted:
  • What’s a Microcontroller.
  • Robotics with the Boe-Bot
  • IR Remote Boe-Bot
Nuts & Volts articles on Parallax CD
·
Thought maybe an IC was used to generate IR pulses based on serial data sent it.· Looked in Mousser and Jameco catalogs and found nothing.
·

Any help would be most appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Tony

·

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-01 23:55
    Are you trying to mimic a remote, or do you want to transmit serial data to another device using IR. If the latter, there was an old BS1 application note that showed how to modulate an IR carrier with a 555 timer so that you could send a 1200-baud serial stream. I believe you can find it in the Resources section of our web site; look for BS1 Application Notes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-02-02 18:37
    I did a project very similar to this last semester when I first started using the stamp.··I used a board of education with four pushbuttons to control a boe bot.· Each button corresponded to a different direction.· I mounted an IR LED on the remote and the reciever on the boe bot.· I had the remote send strings of data out of memory repeatedly as long as I held down the corresponding direction button.· When the boebot recognized a string of data it would perform a specified action.·

I still have the code if you would like me to email it to you.

mail_for_music@yahoo.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-02 19:28
    If you are going to send serial data via IR, make sure you have error detection and/or correction because it will have errors in it (okay unless it is a very short distance).
    Bean.
  • Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2005-02-03 00:32
    Thanks for the quick replys.

I want to transmit serial data to another device using IR. The data will not be data files, but information about switches - 0n/off and a linear pot's postion and if it has moved to a new postion. The second device will recive IR data from control device and control servo postion and turn circuits on/off. I can as musictech said store switch ids and state codes in memory. Still working on how to implement the pot's position data

My question restated differently is this:

How do I pulse an IR LED to send data like - 00001011 pause 00000011? Which when recieved by the second device it would read data as - switch 0ne - on - then turn lights on.

Thanks for the help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tony

·
  • edited 2005-02-03 03:33
    Check out pages 15·through 17 in this document:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/InfraredEmittingDiode.pdf

The code is a little old.· Assuming you are using a BASIC Stamp 2, make sure to add this directive to both example programs:

' {$STAMP BS2}

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 2/3/2005 3:36:45 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-06 15:48
    Here is another possibility that I am going to be trying soon...

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28016

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--