Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sound Generation — Parallax Forums

Sound Generation

LappyLappy Posts: 1
edited 2005-02-11 23:45 in BASIC Stamp
hop.gif·Has anyone used the Stamp to generate animal sounds?.
I wish to create the sound of a bull frog - "rabit" - Any ideas on hardware and software?
AlanWhyte33@blueyonder.co.uk
Thanks

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-02-01 21:29
    I don't know what a "bull frog - rabbit" sounds like.... just kidding!!

You can use an external chip capable of playing WAV files or just playing
    RAW sound it recorded directly that the stamp can control, but I don't think
    you will be able to produce anything more than a "Bermuda tree frog" or
    perhaps a few birds directly from the stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-02-01 22:32
    What kind of chip is this?· Can you post a link to a data sheet?

Thanks,

Chris Isaacson
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-01 23:53
    This might help -- we use this with BASIC Stamp modules all the time: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27967

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-02-02 16:09
    Thanks Jon I was trying to find this.... I also seem to remember that their is unit that you can recoord your own sounds on for up to 30 seconds (I think).
    I know Radio Shack used to have a module that allowed something like this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
    edited 2005-02-02 16:16
    The module we sell (made by Quadravox) will allow you to have up to 4 minutes of sound, and you can divide sounds into as many as 240 "files." I have used the QV306 is a few Halloween props. Quadravox has a piece of software that lets one download their favorite WAV files into the QV306 (requires the QV430 programming adapter).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-02-06 15:37
    Beau,

·· The chip you refer to (Which I think is still available) is the ISDxxxx chip.· I have 2 ISD1000's which can do 30 secs each, and can be MCU-Controlled and message addressable.· But the pre-fab modules they have now are certainly easier to use and access.· I think ISD makes something called a Chip-Corder now as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
    edited 2005-02-06 16:12
    Chipcorder is the brand name for the ISD series.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-02-06 16:16
    Jon,

· Is that something recent?· Back when Radio Shack carried the ISD1000 chip I had never heard the ChipCorder name.· It was ony in the last few years I had heard of it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
    edited 2005-02-06 21:53
    I'm not sure, but it you look on the ISD web site (http://www.winbond-usa.com), you'll see that everything in that category seems to get called a ChipCorder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-02-06 22:10
    I'll have to check my original Radio Shack Datasheet...Meanwhile, Jon's right, the ISD chips have always been good choices for adding pre-recorded sounds inexpensively.· My two chips are from way back, and I think only have 20 seconds of storage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
  • davecdavec Posts: 10
    edited 2005-02-07 04:51
    i'm using the isd5116 with 8 minutes of good quality sound and is controlled via i2c from a bs2. if that's overkill for your project there's some isd2560 code around at parallax or in the nuts and volts articles. the parallax module would be the easiest.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-08 23:19
    ISD was bought out by winbond a few years back, I think thats when the name changed to Chipcorder. Like Chris I got one of the first revisions the 90-second variety cost $40 at the time, digikey sells them for $14 now, considering that was 8-9 years ago thats not a great depreciation in cost, guess cause there's not any major competition·in the market.·
  • davecdavec Posts: 10
    edited 2005-02-09 01:42
    futurlec has these for about half of what digikey lists. i think some of them might be Chip-on-Board rather than dips so you'll want to solder on a couple of rows of headers or whatever. futurlec takes around two weeks.
    edited 2005-02-11 01:16
    Paul,

·· As a side-note, one of the guys I mentored back in 1993 took the ISD1000 and recorded himself crying for help.· He built a circuit that activated the recording when the light was turned off.· It would stop when the light was turned on.· He placed this in his brother's room one night and drove him nuts for an hour with it.· Not really funny to his brother, or many others I suppose, but he did make it work...

·· The reason I remember that so well is that it was the first real application of the device I ever saw back then.· I had 2 for experimenting, but didn't use them in anything until about 1995.· Mine both came from Radio Shack.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-02-11 03:17
    Thats pretty funny, it was the first thing I bought from digikey, crazy thing is I still haven't used it in any application, unless you count recording the cat meowing and freaking it out by playing it back, but I don't think that counts.
    edited 2005-02-11 23:45
    I ended up using mine in a home-brew car computer, which later met with a horrible demise.· We don't talk about that, but I didn't save every chip that was socketed before the shotgun got them...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --==<{Chris}>==--