Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Creating a Fanbus using the Basic Stamp Homework Board. — Parallax Forums

Creating a Fanbus using the Basic Stamp Homework Board.

NwonknuNwonknu Posts: 1
edited 2005-01-27 22:37 in BASIC Stamp
I was wondering if it's possible to use the Basic Stamp Interface to make a basic speed controlling fanbus. I just want to know what I need to do to make everything work together. At the moment I'm not sure on how to exactly plug the fans into the Homework board, since there are many possibilities. What I need to know is, will I be able to use the Basic Stamp Microcontroller to measure the temperature inside the PC case, then accordingly adjust the fan speed to regulate the temperature levels... I'm completely new to microcontrollers, but I would really like to get this working. I know the Basic Stamp Homework board won't work without the 9v battery, but will I be able to supply the fans with the power from the power supply while I just need the 9v battery for sending through voltage or not? I'm not completely sure how this works and I am prepared to get flamed [noparse]:)[/noparse]))) How I figure it, is that you need the battery to supply current to the circuit, even though it should work even though you don't use the battery if you supply power... but you will need the battery for the whole thing of running the microcontroller. So, I'm stuck over here. Is there a way to run my fans from the power supply through the homework board, without having to replace the 9v battery every 10 seconds. I also need to know, how I will connect the whole circuitry.

My basic thought on this would be to run the wire from the PSU through the homework board, plugged into the positive connection up top... from there I would lead it down to a Input slot aswell as lead it over to the negative slot area. Which would then proceed to the fans. At the moment this sounds completely sketchy and not well thought of, I know... The problem is I want to know if this is possible using the homework board, and if not... possible solutions which I could follow to make this project work. I would like to have multiple fans run through the homework board and I would like the microcontroller to control every single one of them.

Not sure if this makes sense at all, or whether or not it's a viable idea. I would appreciate all critisicm, comments, flames and whatever else he he.

If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate a reply.

If I missed out any important information, please flame me and I will try and post it as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

Comments