Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheap and Easy GPS — Parallax Forums

Cheap and Easy GPS

musictechmusictech Posts: 54
edited 2005-09-09 14:38 in BASIC Stamp
Any suggestions on a cheap and easy gps device for the basic stamp?

Comments

• achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-25 16:45
    I used the Garmin eTrex. It's about $90 to $100 new (95$ on gpscity.com), plus the data cable you'd need. Looks like some NIB ones are going for $60 or so on Ebay. The version I had could output an ascii text string, which was super-easy to parse through. NMEA sentences aren't too hard to parse through.

Dave
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-01-25 16:49
    achilles03,

Is the cable included or do I need to purchase that also? If I need to purchase it, what kind of cable do I require?

Post Edited (musictech) : 1/25/2005 4:55:14 PM GMT
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-25 16:50
    You can get dirty cheap ones for sure....but the really cheap ones don't have the rs232 ports.· Because you want that, you're pretty well stuck at the prices achilles posted.

There are GPS engines you can buy for projects....but I can't say if they're cheaper or more $$....certainly you don't have·a display or anything like that.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-01-25 16:59
    Where would you go to find a gps engine compatible with a stamp? I dont really need a display, just the data.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-25 17:11
    One of the possibilities is the Trimble Lassen SQ. This is an engine only. I've not used it, but am looking at it for a project. I haven't found pricing for it in the US either. You can find info at:

www.trimble.com/lassensq.html

The guys at Embedtronics developed a GPS device around the Lassen. They also have made a surface mount prototype adapter card for it:

www.embedtronics.com/GPS/lassenSQ.html

They are in Australia, so depending on what country you live in, shipping could be expensive. They quoted me $13.63AUD (no vat) and $12.00AUD in shipping. Works out to about $20.00US at the present exchange.

They are also working on a version of the card for direct connection to 5vdc which would make life a little easier, but they haven't done a production run of the board yet.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-25 17:25
    Garmin makes some OEM sensors also. If you just want the sensor and no display, I "think" this is all you need:

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/5460.10.9581449345569823476/oem18lvc.html

$80, and no cable needed. Configuring it might be a little harder, b/c I think you need to output a configuration sentence prior to it sending data. But after you've configured it once, you're up and running.

Dave
  • Erik ArendallErik Arendall Posts: 21
    edited 2005-01-25 18:02
    On parallax's website there is a customer application that involves using a GPS Antenna. You can go through it and pic out some code and get a few ideas.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/resources/custapps/app_gps_track.asp
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-01-25 18:04
    The basic Garmin eTrex (no mapping) costs $83 at amazon.com and does NOT ship with a serial cable. The special serial cable will cost you another $10 to $30. The Garmin eTrex Legend (built-in maps with 8MB of free space to load more maps) costs $131 at amazon.com and SHIPS with the serial cable.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-25 18:57
    There are companies that sell kits so that you can make your own eTrex cables at the fraction of the cost of the Garmin cable. I've used both with success.

http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/emap/index.htm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2005-01-25 19:38
    I just bought the Garmin GPS-18LVC for my high altitude project I am working on. It is an OEM model without a display and is WAAS compliant. It comes in 3 versions: USB, Car adapter, and straight wires. Smaller then eTrek, WAAS compliant, low power consumption and only requires one line of code to extract your GPS coordinates. I picked it up for $80 on the web.
    edited 2005-01-25 22:30
    Nice. I almost bought one of Garmin's GPS OEM sensors... ($79.99 on gpscity.com, plus s&h). Tempting, but my eTrex still works for what I use it for... so I figure if it's not broke...

Is yours going on a high altitude balloon?

Dave
    edited 2005-01-26 01:17
    Thanks Guys

I think i am going to try the Garmin OEM model.

ebf306, one question though. What is the one line of code?
    edited 2005-01-26 02:30
    That will probably depend on what NMEA sentence you want data from. It's a SERIN command. There's lots of documentation about NMEA sentences. Just look up what characters you need to SERIN to get what you want.

Dave
  • upand_at_themupand_at_them Posts: 61
    edited 2005-01-26 19:43
    musictech said...

ebf306, one question though. What is the one line of code?
    I have one of the GPS18LVC's too.· There's nothing·you have to do to get the unit to start talking; it will do that automatically when power is applied.· The "line of code" ebf was talking about is for configuring the unit; i.e. changing the data rate, which GPS sentences to be sent, etc.· That can be done through a terminal program or through the free configuration software from Garmin.· The unit defaults to transmitting NMEA protocol at 4800 baud and it transmitts the standards few sentences that have lat, long, alt, time, etc.· Unless you need something specific, or to change the data rate, you won't need any "lines of code".

Mike

·
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-09-09 03:21
    www.stargps.ca sells a Rikaline GPS with a standard RS-232 (compliant) output. I like it a lot.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2005-09-09 04:51
    i bought one on ebay. the guy has really good docs and it works with the stamp great. infact he moded Jon's basic gps code so that i works with it. it is a Sandpiper GPS made by axiom. it is an oem unit. it has rs-232 output also. i bought it for 20 dollars. the guy is als on this forum. do a search for axiom or sandpiper. great little unit.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2005-09-09 13:20
    Jon's basic ggps code?· Where's that?· Modified?· Can we see it, too?
    edited 2005-09-09 14:14
    I've posted these programs several times ... one more won't hurt.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-09-09 14:20
    And a couple more (from Nuts & Volts articles).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-09-09 14:38
    Thanks for those, Jon.