Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tranfering Projects to other EEPROMs — Parallax Forums

Tranfering Projects to other EEPROMs

CosmosusCosmosus Posts: 2
edited 2005-01-24 21:43 in BASIC Stamp
All,

I am fairly new to the world of Microcontrollers.· I purchased the Basic Stamp (BSX2) and BOE as my intro.· I have had alot of fun doing small projects but find myself often tearing apart a working progress to move onto something else.· The reason is that I do not want to commit my Stamp to any one project and buying a new one for each can get a little expensive.· In some projects 2 stamps would be usefull but the expense far out weights the usefulness of the project and the commitment of funds.· Is their a way I can utilize my Basic Stamp to do the development, programming, debugging etc.·and then transfer the program to a much cheaper, dedicated Microcontroller.

Thanks in advance for any suggestio0ns you can offer!!· idea.gif

Comments

• achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-24 17:13
    Tearing apart a work in progress to move on to another just means you're a tickerer, just like most everyone else here. I can't count how many times I've done that.

Why do you say you have to commit a stamp to a project? You can always take the BS2 out of one project, reload and reprogram the BS2 with the right program, and put it in another. You might have to get another breadboard, and set up your project there to free up your BOE, but breadboards are cheap (under 20$ for a good one).

You can get a dedicated microcontroller, but they are programmed differently than the BS2. You'd need a programmer (hardware), software to compile the program to a HEX file, as well as the microchip, a 5V regulator, and (usually) an oscillator. They're not nearly as user friendly as the BS2, which is why the BS2 is so popular.

Dave
  • CosmosusCosmosus Posts: 2
    edited 2005-01-24 17:49
    Dave,

When I say " I don't want to commit my stamp..."· I am refering to the scenario of having only one application functional at a time (unless you have more then one brain).

It seems what you are suggesting is a compiller to convert Pbasic to an·assembly (numonic) language that·the dedicated uController can understand.··Im starting to think·I could end up with a Syntax nightmare with alot of debugging!·

Thanks for the reply!

Cosmosus
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-24 18:27
    You could use the "OEM" version of the Stamp. These are cheaper than the full-blown stamp.

You could switch to the SX28. These cost less, and run faster. Programmed in assembly or SX/Basic.

And there do exist native "PIC" compilers and board sets that would let you do what you want. The price for these starts around $350, I believe.
  • JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-01-24 19:23
    There was a recent post that discussed how parallax sells parts so that you can embed basic stamps into your projects. http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/oem_components.asp
    They also sell modules which i find great.

I use 1 BS2sx module for prototyping, using a large breadboard.
    Once I am satisfied with the design it is·layed out·in ExpressPCB or other software. A few months ago I found a great solution to making my own prototype PCBs. (example.jpg)

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/416k.html

I print on inkjet transparencies about 2 times on each side(4 passes in my 80$ bubblejet·scool.gif )and use a simple fluorescent bulb. in about·20 minutes I have a custom PCB of my designs. I often photoshop the screenshot of the ExpressPCB layout and edit each pixel.

Once thats done I mount IC headers which allow all the IC's in the design to be extracted if needed in another design, including the BS2sx module.

This is the best way for me to keep the design prototypes·ready to go without having to rewire the entire circuit. I suppose i could purchase many breadboards but making PCBs is easy. smilewinkgrin.gif

So yeah just purchase OEM components or finalize your design with a PIC/AVR/other, and your modules will be free for prototyping. If you are wondering how to build your own BS2sx with oem components for your embedded applications:
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/schem/bs2sxrevd.pdf

Post Edited (Jonb) : 1/24/2005 7:58:15 PM GMT
    216 x 137 - 32K
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-24 20:12
    Jon's approach seems to make a lot of sense. I have a question about the OEM components. I understand that what makes a stamp a stamp is what is programmed into the PIC processor that Parallax sells. But is the EEPROM standard off the shelf stuff? I guess I'm asking why the 24LC16B EEPROM is $5.00 qty 1 from Parallx and $0.63 Qty 1 from Digikey.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-24 20:33
    All you really need is the interpreter chip, they have magic Parallax smoke in them tongue.gif

The EEPROM is where tokens are stored(as you probably know) and as long as you use an EEPROM that the interpreter can address properly I assume even an equivalent·IC might work.

Post Edited (Jonb) : 1/24/2005 8:38:50 PM GMT
    edited 2005-01-24 20:36
    Jonb said...

All you really need is the interpreter chip, they have magic Parallax smoke in them tongue.gif

The EEPROM is where tokens are stored(as you probably know) and as long as you use an EEPROM that the interpreter can address properly I assume even an equivalent·IC might work.

Yeah, just make sure you don't let the magic smoke out... once you see the smoke, it won't work anymore!

Did you go to Ga Tech by any chance?

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 20:43
    Georgia tech?
    No, I studied computer science in Montreal, JAC.
    If its about the magic smoke, I stole it from someone probably you smile.gif

Post Edited (Jonb) : 1/24/2005 9:17:26 PM GMT
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-01-24 20:49
    I am currently working with BS2sx and PIC 16F877A, different unrelated projects. And i found that PICs are much more powerfull and could be almost as user friendly. The power of a PIC is simply no comparison to Basic Stamp. I am not trying to bash Stamp here, but there are just other options out there.
    allanlane5 said...
    You could use the "OEM" version of the Stamp. These are cheaper than the full-blown stamp.

You could switch to the SX28. These cost less, and run faster. Programmed in assembly or SX/Basic.

And there do exist native "PIC" compilers and board sets that would let you do what you want. The price for these starts around $350, I believe.
    NO TRUE !
    I bought a prototype board w/programmer and 16F877A for $150 including shipping
    http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/product/tools/easypic2.htm

If you are really short on cash, you can easily make a programmer for about $15-20. And you only need one programmer. Load the software on to the PIC and ready to go. PICs themself are cheap 16F877A, one of the powerfull and expensive PICs will cost you $8-$10 individually, or less if you buy in large quantity. Yes you need a couple capacitors, 7805 voltage regulator and oscilator to power the the PIC, but those are all cheap.
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-24 20:49
    I have a similar question. How can I connect the BS2 to another serial EEPROM?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So many projects, so little time.
    edited 2005-01-24 21:20
    Jonb said...
    Georgia tech?
    No, I studied computer science in Montreal, JAC.
    If its about the magic smoke, I stole it from someone probably you smile.gif
    No, one of the professors at·GT used to joke about the "magic smoke" a lot... I didn't know if it was a GT thing or more wide spread... guess it's the latter.· :-)

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 21:43
    So far i have been able to do everything i want with the BS2sx.

Blank PICs arent for the beginner. Some people could get discouraged fiddling with PICs.

My logic is as follows, for what I have been able to do so far with BS2sx is astonishing:

-Pbasic for fast prototyping, testing.

-Assembler/C/Java for embedded·production models.

Although if i only needed a handfull of units·that i could hand assemble, why not save time and get OEM components from the good people at Parallax smilewinkgrin.gif (insert *** kissing here). Either way cost gets passed down to consumer.

Digikeys sells the interpreter chips: http://ca.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=224403&Site=CA&Cat=31523697

So its all a matter of preference. I for example dont need 10 million instructions per second reading a GPS receiver and performing simple math.

BUGG: I think the sx interpreter communicates through I2c not certain but you'd have to experiment.

Note: I would have discussed AVR's... the Atmel chips, but they never send me the samples i request rolleyes.gif

Post Edited (Jonb) : 1/24/2005 10:06:04 PM GMT