Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Underwater sensor — Parallax Forums

Underwater sensor

Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
edited 2005-01-24 18:24 in BASIC Stamp
I may be involved in a joint project where we are monitoring lobster fishing traps. A bs2 is to be used to record the data.

There are three main things that I need to record, water temperature, current speed, and lobster movement. For the movement perhaps there is something like a sounder with very low range, or possibly a motion detector.

Anyone have any tips / leads?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Johnny

Gee Sarah, Thats a reeeaaally nice gradin' present.
I can't wait until Rickey sees that c***sucker!
- Bubbles

Comments

• achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-22 02:36
    Regarding a sensor for movement... that's a little harder that normal atmospheric conditions, since there's a lot of particulate in the water. Sounders may not work under water either, since the vibration carries a lot farther and differently than a compressible fluid (aka air). I'd research that before making a choice. Maybe a light/IR source with a sensor a distance away. If anything sizeable comes in between, the sensor senses a drop in light or IR.

Dave
  • Alan BradfordAlan Bradford Posts: 172
    edited 2005-01-22 03:16
    Hi,

Do you need to count the Lobs'tas in the trap, going into the trap, and/or the little ones who go in and out many times?

You could have a trip switch·on the·entrance hole, that is spring loaded, and counts the number of Lobs'tas entering. (although you will know how many when you retreive the trap, to collect the "data" from the Stamp. There will be a corresponding number of "data" units crawling in the traps as well.

A little more information on the type of data needed will help.

Anything for an excuse to head "Downeast" A-Yuup

Alan Bradford

Plasma Technologies
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-22 17:36
    I want to count the lobsters that go in and come out. The actuall total catch will be recorded manually.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-22 18:38
    I would think (emphasize _think_ as I have no practical experience in this area) that Dave's idea of using an IR senor would be best. You would be able to contain it all in one unit if you used a mirror on the other side of the opening. Since the traps will be hauled regularly keeping the mirror clean shouldn't be a problem. While you might get some of reflected IR off the lobster shell, I would think that it would be greatly diminished such that a Schmitt trigger could clean up the wave shape.

Then you'll find out that lobsters can see IR and spray paint the mirror to avoid being detected. smile.gif

You'll also need to avoid any external protrusions from the trap. Various studied have found that crustaceans find their way into the trap by moving their way around the outside until they find the opening. I'd be concerned that an external sensor pack, if too big, might created an impediment to the lobsters thus affecting the validity of the data.

Jim
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-24 00:43
    You want to measure temp/current/critters?!
    Temp is easy enough....
    Current speed....just use an impellor/propellor type of unit.· Our Hydrometric technicians use what would basically be similar to a wind speed sensor.· They also use doppler radars but the first option is slightly cheaper!tongue.gif

As far as entrance/exit to the trap....have a spring loaded mesh gate at the entrance to the trap.· When the lobster pushes through, the gate opens and triggers a switch.· Use chicken mesh maybe....and arrange it that it could swing both ways.·
    Using IR down in the mirky depths of the ocean may not work.· (don't know what would happen to them at depth--isn't there a gas in those little capsules?).· Anyhow, mechanical counts might be better for 'false counts' as you'd have to put to IR sensors in the trap to determine direction and a lobster that lodges in the 'sensor area' might trigger a bunch of false counts.

Just making a guess....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-24 00:59
    Steve said...
    Anyhow, mechanical counts might be better for 'false counts'

True, however you need to ensure that the mechanical sensors don't deter the bugs so that you get a skewed population count as a result of sensor. My question would be, how would the lobster know to push through at the location of the sensor, as apposed to other spots on the traps. Traps have a cone shaped entrance allowing the lobster into the trap without impediment.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-24 01:26
    You're right Jim....

I thought maybe 'chicken wire' would have large enough holes that would still 'look' like an opening for the lobsters.

And yes, if you make the 'gate' easy enough for a small lobster to open, then maybe the currents will trigger it too!

But the idea of the cone opening is to prevent these guys from getting out too easily....is it when the trap fills up that they are at the right level to walk out the opening?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-01-24 02:05
    I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with how a modern wire lobster trap actually works, so I have attempted a very rough drawing. The drawings really suck so I included a pretty good description of the lobster catching process. Have a look and let me know what you think.

I agree with the IR concept, however, I am limited to power supply, I am thinking one of those 6 volt batteries commonly used for flash lights, they are about 3" x 3" x 4.5" I'm sure you know what I mean. How long would the 6 volt battery last I wonder, and if anyone knows of any formulas for figuring this out let me know.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    trap.bmp 726.3K
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-24 14:47
    Battery life: you need to find the Amp-Hour rating of the battery (big help, I know).
    I once found a chart in Radio Shack, but can't locate it now.

Anyway, once you find the Amp-hour rating, then you need to find out the average current needs of your project. Note if you 'pulse' the IR, it doesn't have to be on all the time, and you can get lots of power savings there.

So 20 Amp-Hours / 200 mA == 100 hours (all numbers made up here, but the equation is correct)

You'll also need to run your project with a 2940-5 regulator, as these are 'low-dropout' and will work with a 6-volt battery. Note also I believe the 'Lantern Cell' you are talking about is equivalent to 4 'D' cells, if that helps.
    edited 2005-01-24 15:17
    If you do use an IR sensor, you might consider pulsing the IR LED it to save battery life. Turn it on, wait a few milliseconds to get to full brightness, then read the IR sensor, then turn the IR LED back off. I'm assuming lobsters won't be moving too fast. Maybe 4 reads a second...? If you get 2 "blocked IR source" readings in a row, then maybe record that as a "hit".

Also, make sure none of the net/mesh could get in the way of the IR beam... otherwise, the water current might make the net/mesh get in the way and cause a false reading.

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 15:47
    What about a "whisker" type of sensor, do they have two way whisker sensors (then I'd know if they are coming or going). The water movement may trigger them so I would also need to be able to adjust the tension. Just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-24 16:13
    I don't know, but you could probably make one without too much trouble.· Just have a metalic whisker (some gauge of wire, maybe spring steel) located next to a contact.· Have the whisker connected through a resistor (maybe 1k?) to 5V... have the contact connected to a pin on the BS2, and a pulldown resistor (maybe 10k or 100k?).· When the whisker hits the contact, the pin will go from 0V (GND) to just under 5V, and the BS2 can sense whether the contact is low (GND) or high (5V).· And you can have it sample the contact every few seconds.· (see attached picture)

Maybe you could have the contact be a complete ring around the whisker, so it can sense being deformed in ANY direction, not just one.

Given the enviroment you're using it in, I'm not sure how much current may be drained from the whisker, nor how it might affect corrosion if you plan on using it for an extended period.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
    250 x 203 - 6K
    edited 2005-01-24 16:26
    thats definitly a good idea, my partner on this project (my dad) is very interested in knowing if they are coming or going, so a whisker that could sense a forward or backward motion would be optimal. Corrosion is definitly a factor and I'm sure some of the parts wont last longer then a month or so and will need replacing. I'm not sure what type of material would work best for the actual whisker itself, my first though was guitar string, but that stuff can bend and I'm not too sure of its conductive properties. I'm guessing it would be best to have the whisker on a type of hinge as well as using a meterial that is flexible, I think this would ensure a better electrical contact?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-24 17:03
    I'd hard mount the end of the whisker, and just get a gauge that's flexible enough that it will bend and touch the contact easily. Guitar string might work, but you might want to test the conduction properties with an multimeter. You can probably get thin spring-steel, aluminum, or copper rods at your local hardware store if guitar strings won't work.

Also, if you want to sense direction, you'd need atleast 2 contacts (one in front, one in back) both tied to different pins. If the whisker hit one, it would mean something pushed it one way... the other contact would be the opposite direction.

Dave
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2005-01-24 17:13
    Just use 2 whisker array(s), the order in which they trigger the contact determines the direction of
    travel (in or out) of the conical entrance to the trap. The main problem is the complete water proofing of electrical components at the depth that the traps are to be set in.... The whisker has to be flexible enough to trigger a switch, or better yet mount a magnet on the whisker to trigger a reed switch or hall effect transistor, for easier waterproofing at depth/pressure you are going to encounter.

Bob
  • Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2005-01-24 17:19
    One other comment, salt water in itself is very conductive, so a sensor has to be isolated from the water or it will not work...

Bob
    edited 2005-01-24 17:24
    Just a note on the battery life:

You haven't said where you're putting the traps (in a bay/inlet or ocean) but I'll assume it'll be bloody cold!

I don't know the temperatures you'll be dealing with.· But from previous google'ing, I've found that most batteries are rated at 80degF (27degC).

And they say you should subtract 0.028Volts per cell for each 10degF below 80.
    Temperature Effects on Batteries.
    • Battery capacity (how many amp-hours it can hold) is reduced as temperature goes down, and increased as temperature goes up.
    • Battery charging voltage also changes with temperature.
      • It will vary from about 2.74 volts per cell (16.4 volts) at -40 C to 2.3 volts per cell (13.8 volts) at 50 C.
      • This is why you should have temperature compensation on your charger or charge control if your batteries are outside and/or subject to wide temperature variations.
    • Large battery banks make up a large thermal mass.
      • Means that they will change internal temperature much slower than the surrounding air temperature.
    • Battery life is reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half.
    This is from a paper I wrote for work.

Also, depending on the switch you use....you might want to epoxy the connections to prevent water from getting on them.· Hard to do when using some sort of microswitch (where water gets inside anyways.)
    Not sure if things will short out on you, so far as exposed contacts go!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    edited 2005-01-24 17:33
    I'm assuming those temperature notes are for alkalines, correct?

If it is really cold, go with lithium batteries (not lithium-ion rechargables). You can get them in AAA and AA type at Walmart or anywhere nowdays, and they're slightly higher capacity than most alkaline cells. They work fine below freezing, which is probably several degrees below what you'll be encountering with a lobster trap. And you can discharge them a lot harder/faster.

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 17:34
    waterproofing will be tough.

The location of the traps most likely will in a·fairly well sheltered harbour to start off, and perhaps work our way outside more as we gain experience / better equipment. The water temperature is probably going to be in the 0 to 10 celcius range, and they will be used in the spring (to start off with).

About the issue with water shorting things out, I don't really understand how all of that works. I have seen divers, take underwater with them, 120v flood lights so they can see what they are doing. It was just a normal pig tail socket connected via a splice and some black tape to an extension cord. I don't understand why it a: wouldn't blow a fuse / trip breaker, and b: why they didn't get a serious electric shock... or worse.

The design I have come up with for the whisker will depend on not being sealed, if I don't have to seal things up, it would make things much easier. I'm going to need to do some experimentation. The design here will allow me to adjust the tension of the whisker so that we can avoid having false triggers, such as strong current / small fish swimming through etc.

let me know what ya think

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-24 17:42
    Robert said...
    One other comment, salt water in itself is very conductive, so a sensor has to be isolated from the water or it will not work...

Bob
    Very conductive is a relative term.· According to a source I found on the internet (cached, so I can't post a link), salt water has about 23 conductivity units, and the conductivity of a typical metal such as copper wire is 60, 000, 000 conductivity units.· So salt water is about .00000038% as conductive as copper. ·By comparison, pure water is 0.000004 conductivity units.

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 17:47
    if thats the case then I don't need to worry about water conductivity. but as I mentioned, all of this will be tested, probably first in fresh water before it actually gets deployed for real environment testing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-24 18:10
    Regarding conductivity, I found this website:

http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~jones/es154/lectures/lecture_2/Ohm'sLaw/Ohm'sLaw.html

Although it's not nearly as conductive as copper, salt water could affect things.

Dave
    edited 2005-01-24 18:11
    I went back through my report to see what I was referring to in regards to those temp/discharges values....They're not alkaline (I'd expect alkaline would be worse) so I'm thinking gel cells.

NiCd are said to be rated to -40C (from BatteryFAQ).· They're cheaper than Li-ions but do have a higher 'self-discharge' rate...take about an hour to charge and have one of the higher cycle rates (discharge/charge/dishcharge).

Actually, just for other users' delights, I'll post the BatteryFAQ in the Sandbox for people's's future reference!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-24 18:24
    It just occurred to me, you can use magnetically triggered reed relays (you know, those little glass tubes with contacts in them, that sense a close-by magnet?)

Put a magnet on the 'whisker', such that when it is moved it comes close enough to the tube to trigger the contact. Then seal the contacts inside a water-tight container (a test-tube might work for this, or even PVC pipe).