Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video multiplexer - BS2 — Parallax Forums

Video multiplexer - BS2

ufadedufaded Posts: 8
edited 2005-01-20 20:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
··· I would like to use the BS2 for a project I am going to attempt but am not sure it can do what I want it to. I would like to switch video with it. I want to take three different video signals, put them each on a different I/O,· select them with some sort of binary code on three other I/O's, and then bring one of the videos out on another I/O (according to the one I select). Something like a video multiplexer 3:1. Would the BS2 be capable of this (passing the video) from one I/O to another. What would the on resistance be between the two I/O's? Would it make the video noisy? Hopefully you can assist me.

Thanks,
JB

I hope that made sense (if you can't tell, Im a newbie to the stamp world)

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-20 19:26
    You'll need Analog switch ICs to handle the signals, but it should be doable.

Take a look at what Maxim has of chips:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/SwitchMux.cfm
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-20 19:30
    Without a TBC (time base corrector) you're probably going to get a bit of glitch-and-roll when switching between sources.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • ufadedufaded Posts: 8
    edited 2005-01-20 19:39
    I mainly would like to use the BS2 as SPST switch (short one I/O to another - depending on which I address). I would actually like to make it a 3P3T switch. I am not too concerned about glitches when switching as it wont be switching at any fast rate. I think the main thing I am concerned with is that video is analog, and the BS2 is digital. I just want to switch the video through from one I/O to another. Any advice?

Thanks
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-20 19:45
    You stated in your original post:

"...and then bring one of the videos out on another I/O (according to the one I select). Something like a video multiplexer 3:1. Would the BS2 be capable of this (passing the video) from one I/O to another."

Are you wanting to know if you can send in a video signal to pin X and get it out on pin Y? The answer to that is no. If you are wanting to know if you can control a peripheral video switch with the BS2 (and have video run through the switch, and not the BS2), then the answer is yes.

Dave
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-20 20:33
    sorry ufaded (nice name!), the stamp isn't a 'pass-thru' device!

It's basically a big voltmeter! that assigns a 1 or 0 to a given threshold.· But it also has timing built in to aid in other measurements!

You can use the stamp as a controller but not as the actual switch or mixer.

You could use the stamp to trigger a relay which might have your video signal on it.· Now, relays are noisy beasts which would cause your video to go crappy for an instant....but setting up a switch board of relays is doable for your 3P3T needs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."