Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
no serial port — Parallax Forums

no serial port

ShawnRShawnR Posts: 8
edited 2005-01-20 22:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hello users

New user here. I tried a search but could not find anything.

I purchased a new lap top which has no standard serial port. How are people programming the stamp with a USB port? Is there an adapter available or information on constructing one somewhere? My old Laptop had the standard serial port so the regular cable sufficed. Now..?

Thanks

Shawn

·

Comments

• Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-20 03:57
    Shawn,

You can get a USB to serial adapter. Parallax sells one which they support. Check out www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030. There are others out there that will not work, notably one of the Belkin ones. For a somewhat animated discussion on it, see thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=522903

Jim
  • ShawnRShawnR Posts: 8
    edited 2005-01-20 04:30
    Hi Jim

Thanks for the informed reply. After I posted, I searched around a little more (Google for adapter) but then received your email. Glad I received it. I went to the Canadian distributor's site and they have this one listed

http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/products_view.asp?ProductID=524

I wonder how well it works. 1/2 the price of the Parallax one, and HVW say they have tested it.

I will keep looking and try something. No panic. I haven't touched the STAMP for months but hope to get back to it shortly. I jst received the laptop so haven't done much with it either.

One other question arising out of the discussion thread you sent. Is there a chance I could run into trouble with adapters re·the STAMP versus the Atom or if it works on one, should it work on the other? I have both but have not done much practical with either.

Thanks

Shawn
    ·
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-01-20 05:07
    Half the price? The adapter you linked to costs $26 while the adapter Parallax sells goes for $34. If you read the posts thru the forum, you'll find MOST USB to serial adapters on the market will NOT work with the BASIC Stamp. The one Parallax sells is guaranteed to work.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-20 14:38
    Please ... you may save a few bucks on an adapter and then spend hours trying (unsuccessfully) to get it to work. We've been through this so many times it's sickening. The reason we even carry an USB adapter is that MOST DON'T WORK -- the BASIC Stamp programming protocol requires (legal) RS-232 signalling that many USB adapters cannot handle. Please, get the FTDI USB adapter -- from us or any source you choose; just use FTDI.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • ShawnRShawnR Posts: 8
    edited 2005-01-20 21:37
    Hi Jon

Thanks for the reply. One reason I feel inclined to go with·the USB adapter I saw is that it is marketed by the Canadian Distributor of the Stamp, so I would have tended to trust them. Of course the other is the cost, which at $26 Canadian dollars would work out to about 1/2 of the 34? US dollars and I would be hit with brokerage fees coming into Canada.To purchase directly from Parallax to Canada is going to be about $90.·It is unfortunate that Parallax does not have a Canadian division. I wonder why their Canadian distributor would sell a questionable adapter. I will be emailing with them. Not in a hurry anyways.

I noted you are the parallax engineer. Are you aware of the Canadian company HVWtech?· I have purchased all of my stuff from them and they seem top notch so far. I agree with you that a few dollars saved is far from worth the hours wasted banging your head on the wall, but as a Canadian consumer of your product, I would hope that Parallax would ensure its representation is sound. I will have to dig further.

Hope I haven't offended. Just asking questions.

Thanks.

I wish I had found this forum a long time ago.

Cheers,

Shawn

·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-20 22:00
    I am well aware of HVW Tech -- I just made a purchase from them the other day. Perhaps you should encourage them -- on behalf of other Canadian BASIC Stamp users -- to carry the FTDI adapter (We have no control or influence over what they choose to carry).· That said, their web page says the adapter they carry is compatible with the BASIC Stamp.· Perhpas they've done some testing ... it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA