Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Communication — Parallax Forums

Wireless Communication

musictechmusictech Posts: 54
edited 2005-01-20 13:41 in BASIC Stamp
Working on a senior project for my Bachelors in electrical engineering.

We are interfacing several stamps with one FPGA (cyclone) controller. The stamp robots will use some wireless communication, a camera, and gps. Is there anyone who has done this type of project before? My biggest hurdle is creating a wireless connection in which I can send commands as well as camera and gps information. I am aware of the bluetooth interface but would like some additional range. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
    edited 2005-01-20 06:12
    If you're using the serial port, I highly recommend maxstream.net

Good luck!
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-01-20 06:24
    Any suggestions on alternative means of communication other than Serial?
  • musictechmusictech Posts: 54
    edited 2005-01-20 06:51
    And perhaps a cheaper alternative
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-20 12:33
    Have you seen the RF devices parallax offers?

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/communication/rf_modules.asp

I personally haven't used them, but the only thing you'd have to figure out is how to interface your master Cyclone controller to whichever device you choose.

You don't plan on sending video or still picture data with the stamp, do you?

Dave
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-20 13:41
    Sorry, I just re-read your first post.

Sending GPS data and commands to/from the BS2 is a breeze.· But sending video or camera data directly through the·BS2·is probably beyond the BS2's capabilities.· First you'd have to interface·the BS2·with the camera so that it could actually get the raw data from the camera, and secondly you'd have to transmit it.· The first step is hard enough, but·both·steps would be extremely limited by the stamp's speed in relation to how much data you'd have to transfer.· Transmitting TV and picture data requires faster data transmission (unless you're using something like slow-scan TV, aka SSTV, which HAM radio guys use a lot).

I would suggest having 2 systems: 1 to relay GPS and command data, and the other piggybacked onto your bot to transmit the picture/video data (which is transparent to your bot).· The first system can be done easily with stuff available at parallax (see link in previous post).· For your wireless camera, you might want to check out:

http://www.supercircuits.com/

They've got some good, cheap (under 99$) wireless camera systems (camera+transmitter unit and a reciever)·that you could piggyback.

Also, if you plan on using multiple cameras,·make sure the frequencies don't interfere with each other.

Hope that helps,
    Dave