Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parts suggestions — Parallax Forums

Parts suggestions

coorscoors Posts: 28
edited 2005-01-28 18:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
this is Ed. I'm working on an alarm system using a BS2 Homework board.· I have a memsic vibration sensor to trigger the alarm, that part is already functional.· What I would like to know is the best way to make my alarm system phone and video capable.· By this I mean that I want to be able to switch a video camera on whenever the sensor is tripped, the video can·capture for a few seconds. It can be directly connected or wireless.· The second part is, I want the controller to dial a phone number whenever the alarm is tripped.·

I would like suggestions on which parts to buy.· I heard about the modem appmod from parallax for the phone capability.·And I was looking at a parallax product:
Stock#: 30008 Category: Robotics
RoboEye Wireless Vision System

This might be good for the camera capability.

Also the alarm does not have to be phone capable it can also be internet capable, meaning that it will post a video clip and the time info on a webpage.· Would this be harder than the phone capability?

For this I was looking at the:

Stock#:
·30005··· Category:·Accessories-Communication
Red-i BASIC Stamp Web Server - BACKORDERED
·

Thanks

·

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-19 20:03
    Ed,
    for the Phone capability, just use the DTMFOUT command.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So many projects, so little time.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-01-19 23:25
    Using DTMF will generate tones needed to dial, but this does not address the issue of interfacing to the phone line, or picking-up/hanging-up the line.

Perhaps the Cermetek modem, or a similar device would be useful...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-01-19 23:40
    Coors,

I highly recommend the Cermetek Stamp Modem or the Red-i BASIC Stamp Web Server, both of which you have found. I think the only decision is phone line v. internet. I assume this part is to notify you of an "INTRUDER ALERT" [noparse][[/noparse]do you remember the video game Bezerk?]. It seems like what might actually be best for you is the new Cermetek E-mail modem, then you don't need Hyperterminal or the web interface and can rely on e-mail. We have designed a StampModem device using their e-mail modem but it is still in production.

Ken Gracey
  • SPENCESPENCE Posts: 204
    edited 2005-01-20 00:24
    IF YOU WANT IN INTERFACE DIRECTLY TO THE TELEPHONE, THE FCC DOES NOT SUGGEST, BY LAW AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS,THEY DIRECT YOU TO USE A FCC APPROVED DAA (DATA ACCESS ARAINGMENT) OR USE A DEVICE WHICH HAS A APPROVED DAA BUILT IN TO IT.

AFTER SEVERAL YEARS OF RESEARCH, I HAVE ONLY FOUND ONE SUCH DEVICE ON THE MARKET FOR EXPERIMENTERS.

http://www.broadcastboxes.com/mpc-2.html

THE MPC-2 SELLS FOR "ABOUT" UDS 39. PLUS POSTAGE AND HANDELING FROM FLORIDA.

STAY LEGAL AND DON'T INVITE THE FCC TO ASSIST YOU TO BANKRUPTCY COURT OR JAIL.

SPENCE
    K4KEP
    ELECTRONICS SINCE 1944
    edited 2005-01-20 00:59
    CORRECTION ON THAT. SHOULD READ USD $39.

ANOTHER REFERENCE YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN ON THE SAME WEB SITE IS.

http://www.broadcastboxes.com/pdf/mpc2prmr.pdf

SPENCE
    K4KEP
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-20 02:33
    Just go to a hamfest or fleamarket or used computer refurbishers and pick up some old modems.

I'm currently monkeying around with a bunch of old USR14k4's that my work had sitting around.· They've got a bunch of Hayes 2400's...I'm thankful my predecessor was a packrat!

Modems are serial devices and are FCC approved!

But, be sure the old ones work with hyperterminal first, otherwise you'll end up needing FAA approval as you launch the thing for not working!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-20 03:52
    Spence,

Your post is a little heavy handed and misleading.
    www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/appmod/stampmodem.PDF said...
    All products in the CH1786 family are registered with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) under Part 68.

The above is a quote from the Parallax data sheet for their Stamp Modem. The CH1786 family referenced is the Cermetek modem chip which is on the board.

I am not a communications legal expert, or even a communications expert, but as Steve pointed out, every modem made in the past two decades, or whatever, comply with part 68. To claim that the only device an experimenter can use is the part you referenced is misleading.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-20 04:44
    I did not even mention the cermtek. I said,

they(the fcc) direct you to use a fcc approved daa (data access araingment) or use a device which has a approved daa built in to it.

In the past, several times experimenters on yahoo forum in this group have infered to using the stamp to telephone with out a daa. Daa's usually cost between $200 and $500. Which is out of the financial range of many experimenters and hobbyists.

Again i say. That unit is the only daa i have found in the affordable price range.

Spence
    k4kep
    commuunications and electronics since 1944
    21 years experience with federal government communications.
    edited 2005-01-20 05:16
    Spence,

True. But your post immediately followed Ken's recommendation for the Cemtrek modem and it sure seemed to me that you were saying that it wasn't legal and that the only thing somebody could use was the daa you linked to. If this wasn't what you meant I apologize. It's just they way it read to me.

Reading through the thread again just now, I see that you were probably refering to bugg saying to just use DTMFOUT. If that's the case, quoting would have avoided the misunderstanding.

Jim
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-20 13:50
    What Spence said is true, and is one of the reasons I also recommend the Parallax Cermetek Modem board. It comes with a certified DAA along with the Cermetek modem chip, as I understand it. And the other poster's are correct, ANY stand-alone modem can be used. It helps if it supports the Hayes command set (almost all phone-line modems do).

So unless you are battery powering this thing (or running it off the BOE board) the Cermetek App-Mod might be overkill. A simple stand-alone modem would be sufficient.
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2005-01-20 17:29
    Does SPENCE realize he is yelling?

nate
    edited 2005-01-20 17:39
    Allan said...
    It comes with a certified DAA along with the Cermetek modem chip

I knew that after I went off and researched it. I researched it, because my first reaction to Spence's post was that it was illegal. Since I found it highly unlikely that Parallax would sell an illegal product to the general public I went off and read the data sheet on it.

As I said above, I believe I misunderstood the target of Spence's post.

He is correct about using a DAA. And it is good of him to ensure that those that are trying to interface with the phone system are aware of it. Everybody brings varying levels of expertise in varying areas to the table. Spence clearly has a high level of experience in exactly this area, so his input is definitely appreciated.

Jim
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-01-20 18:41
    Nate said...
    Does SPENCE realize he is yelling?
    nate
    Nate,

·· Spence isn't yelling...He has trouble reading smaller type, especially when typing, and as such types in caps.· He used to start off all his messages by apologizing in advance for all caps...Most of us that have been in the Parallax Forums for awhile have gotten used to this by now.· I wouldn't worry too much about it.

wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
  • coorscoors Posts: 28
    edited 2005-01-20 20:14
    Thanks for all the suggestions of connection.· I'm leaning towards the Red-i BASIC Stamp Web Server for internet connection or the Stamp Modem for the phone connection.· I just want the simplest way to connect to the outside world.·

First question: the modem description states that The Stamp Modem requires a Board of Education carrier board, Super Carrier or BASIC Stamp Activity Board (not included). would·this work on a homework board.

Would the red-i web server be able to connect to the homework board, its description states that it connects to the AppMod header as found on such programming boards as the Board of Education® carrier board, BS2p Demo Boards, SumoBot Board, Toddler Board, and Super Carrier board.

Second question: What would be the simplest way to have video camera capability? Is the Stock#: 30008 RoboEye Wireless Vision System a good part?

Thanks

<!-- unit price -->

·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-20 20:38
    I think you'd want something like a computer on the video end to serve up the images.· Ever see those old videophones when they first came out.· image was pretty cruddy....this was using a regular phone line to send data.· So, unless you have a way of increasing your bandwidth, I'd imagine your 'live' images would have similar quality.·

If you had a PC at the video end, you could package video clips and send them out...but this takes a long time (1meg file takes 5minutes? not sure).

But you could make some small still images and send those at a smaller resolution.· If you've got the red-I then you could easily serve up the still images to the Net.

I'm sure it's doable....one way or another! [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • coorscoors Posts: 28
    edited 2005-01-28 18:37
    Well I wanted to use the red-i web server.· I was told that parallax is not selling these anymore, is this the case?

If it is, then I would use the cermetek stamp modem for phone capability.· The only thing is that I was informed that this component will not work with my homework board.· I already have some of the project done on this board.· If I have to switch over to a Board of Education board and a BS2-IC, then would the code and parts be easily transferrable to the new controller?

Another question: I was looking at Matco for a camera that I can use for my project.· There is this one camera there that uses a motion sensor to trigger a nearby VCR to start recording.· Would it be taht tough to use this camera and modify it to be connected to my controller?

Thanks for any help. I just want to order the right parts and be able to complete this project.

Ed