Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fried Stamp? — Parallax Forums

Fried Stamp?

Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
edited 2005-01-22 17:30 in BASIC Stamp
I think I might have fried my stamp. I've put together a carrier board. One night I managed to actually get the editor to pick it up, and I downloaded some code to it. Then when I attempted the next time, pc would not detect the stamp. Loopback: Yes Echo: No.

I am using a 7.5v wall wart and put together my own serial cable, including the .1u caps.

The only thing I have not tried is connecting a 5 volt power supply to the other power supply pin. The + of the wall wart is on pin 24 btw.

How will I know for sure if the stamp is dead?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Johnny

Post Edited (Jonathan Allison) : 1/19/2005 2:59:58 PM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-19 14:07
    The "loopback" test is a simple hard-wired pin 6 to pin 7 check. Even a dead stamp will pass this one, if the cable connection is good to the holding board.
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-20 03:40
    I connected 4 1.5v batteries to the +5v pin and grounded GND. The batteries and stamp got pretty hot. My guess is that means its cooked eh?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-20 14:49
    Probably yes. This is the danger that many have faced building their own programming boards. You really need to double-check your connections before plunking a new BASIC Stamp into your board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-20 15:18
    well that really sucks

Whats this I hear about the parallax repair options? Is this chip a contestant for that? And whats the cost?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-20 16:27
    Contact our Tech Support group (1-888-99-STAMP). The will let you know your optons.

FWIW ... I cringe every time I see someone say they're going to save a few bucks building their own programming boad, because about half the time things turn out tragically.· What you did is connect 6 volts to a pin designed for no more than 5 (my guess is that you destroyed the onboard regulator and that's what's getting hot -- hopefully the damage stopped there).· If you're going to build your own board and you want to use the Vdd pin, YOU MUST supply regulated 5 volts (as we do on our boards).· If you're going to use anything greater (6 to 12 volts), then that must be connected to the Vin pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA

Post Edited (Jon Williams) : 1/20/2005 4:32:24 PM GMT
    edited 2005-01-21 20:40
    Is there anything I can do to test it, short of testing it on a known-working carrier board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-21 23:57
    No, I do think so. You really need to be able to reprogram it to test all the IOs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-22 17:30
    thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny