Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ideas???? — Parallax Forums

Ideas????

egertegert Posts: 10
edited 2005-01-22 03:14 in BASIC Stamp
AIGHT YALL,http://forums.parallax.com/forums/emoticons/freaked.gif
freaked

I purchased a parallax boe bot with the board of education on recomendation from the inventor of the oobot 40-II. The class project is to get 8 billiards balls into the 4 seperate canisters of a pool like table. Any ideas on how to get it to push the balls in there? Any ideas on how to get the robot to know where it is on the surface of the table? All ideas would be apprciated. THANKS MUCH.
MEEEE
PS> HERE IS THE TABLE AND ALOT OF OTHER STUFF. THANKS A MILLION!
http://www.soinc.org/robobill/images/setup.1.gif
http://www.soinc.org/robobill/images/
THANKS

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-19 08:46
    Why not have a u-shaped piece mounted in the front of the robot, with a micro-switch to detect if you have captured a ball?

·\·· · /
    ··\·· /
    ·

=·Front =
    =······ =
    =······ =
    =······ =

And if you add an arm which goes above and past the ball, to hook it in place you can even back up without losing the ball.

·\··+· /
    ··\·! /
    ·---!---
    =·Fr!nt =
    =······ =
    =······ =
    =······ =

As for knowing where you are, I suggest calculating it by using starting position and adding the moves.
    Just remember that you need to calculate it for a fixed point(Usually the exact center)·on the robot, then take the rest of the robot into account when dealing with walls.

• Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-01-19 15:37
    The mechanics of ball-handling are probably going to be the easy part. <g>

Position location using an 8-bit microcontroller can be a very tricky business (at least on the small-scale....at least if you don't have to be any more accurate than 10 feet or so you can use GPS...but on a pool table....).

Some ideas to consider:
    RF beacons
    IR beacons
    CMU cam on a servo and "colored cards" for beacons.

If you note the "beacon" trend, it's because any kind of dead reckoning will be strongly affected by "slippage" due to sudden changes of inertia versus the coefficient of friction (i.e. bumping into a ball), unless your 'bot is quite heavy.

It's an "interesting" problem...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    XYZZY...PLUGH...*poof*
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-01-19 18:02
    Well according to the website the robots can be radio-controlled.... so what exactly are you using the Basic Stamp for?
  • egertegert Posts: 10
    edited 2005-01-19 20:38
    I JUST THOUGHT THAT USING A ROBOT WOULD BE A DIFFERENTY SORT OF A CHALLENGE INSTEAD OF USING THE "RICE AND BEANS" REMOTE CONTROLLED CAR CONVERSION IDEA.....
    AND YES THEY CAN BE REMOTE CONROLLED....JUST WANTED A CHALLENGE smilewinkgrin.gifsmilewinkgrin.gifblush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A CHAIN IS ONLY AS STRONG AS ITS WEAKEST LINK
    GENIUS IS 99% INSPIRATION AND 1% PERSPIRATION
    THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE ONE PERSON RICHER THAN YOU, UNLESS YOUR NAME IS BILL GATES
    edited 2005-01-20 01:54
    EXACTLY HOW ACCURATE IS THE IR BEACON? AND WHERE COULD I GET ONE? HOW ABOUT LASER? WOULD THAT WORK AS A BEACON? WOULD THIS CAMERA WORK? http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R140-CMUCAM-KIT.html
    Would i have to get another ir reciever for the beacon?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    THERE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE ONE PERSON RICHER THAN YOU, UNLESS YOUR NAME IS BILL GATES
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-01-20 16:15
    By the rules of the competition are you allowed· to place any kind of markers/lazers/transceivers on or around the table?

·
    edited 2005-01-22 01:23
    I have read the rules and have not seen anything to bar the placing of objects around the table.. Maybe i am just a basket case. lol.giflol.gifroll.gif
    The only limitation is that the lasers must be class 3 and some thing must be done to protect the general public.. turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-22 01:32
    Egert,

FYI, the quote from Thomas Edison is:

"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. "

No matter how great the thought, it takes a lot of work to get results.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-22 03:12
    You are right! I am so sorry. i was trying to get done quickly and reversed them! Thank you for pointing that out!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-01-22 03:14
    Also does anyone know how to program the cmu camera from parallax??
    Ideas?
    Thanks again

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    GENIUS IS 1% INSPIRATION AND 99% PERSPIRATION