Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming the basic stamp — Parallax Forums

Programming the basic stamp

grey_codegrey_code Posts: 3
edited 2005-01-20 04:13 in BASIC Stamp
hey guys... I'm kind of a beginner in here, I was wondering could someone tell me how to program the basic stamp in simple steps?? Does it need a dedicated programmer like PIC microcontrollers?? PEACE... turn.gif

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-18 18:10
    Step 1. Download our What's A Microcontroller? book
    Step 2. Crack it open and read it.
    Step 3. Have a blast!

To your direct question, no special programmer is required.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-18 18:24
    1. Purchase a Board Of Education (BOE) package, with BS2.
    2. Plug in 6 volt to 18 volt wall-wart power supply. Plug 2.1/5.5 mm connector into BOE board.
    3. Install the Parallax IDE on your computer.
    4. Plug in a straight-through DB-9 male to female cable between your PC's serial port and BOE.
    (If you haven't GOT a serial port on your PC, install an FTDI USB to Serial adapter. Use that)
    5. Run the IDE. Enter a program. Click 'Program'.
    6. Your tokenized PBasic program is downloaded into the BS2 EEPROM, where it will stay
    ready to run every time you power-cycle the BS2.

No special burners or erasers needed -- the BS2 handles all of that with a simple serial protocol
    supported by the IDE.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-18 18:47
    Also note, that the BOE is available in a USB interface as well. It is the same price as the serial version. So if you don't have a serial port, skip the adapter and buy the USB version.

For learning the stamp and PBASIC (the language you program it in) I would highly recommend the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit. (www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27207) Every thing you need comes in one package. You can also order it in the USB version as well.

Hey Jon. When are they going to change to web site to say you can order it as a USB version? You might be missing some sales of it because people donn't want to buy a USB to serial adapter.

Cheers,
    Jim
    edited 2005-01-18 18:57
    Hmmm ... we have a banner right on our home page that features the USB version.· And, each product page has a link to the other version.· What else do you suggest we do?· Perhpas you have an old version of our site in your browser cache.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-18 19:30
    Jon,

I was speaking specifically about the Discovery Kit. Sure enough, at the very bottom of the page, there is a link to a USB verion listed under Resources, I missed that when I went there to get the link. But they sure make it obscure. If you start at the Home page, then Products, Starter Kits, the page describing the Discovery Kit doesn't even have the term USB on it anywhere. (except on the side link to FTDI USB Chips) And the only link for the Discovery Kit takes you to the serial version. From there, you can find the offhand link of the USB version at the bottom of the page.

I guess I harped on it because I think the Discovery Kit is a fantastic way for folks to learn about the stamp. Everything in one box... and on sale to boot. I just worry that people that would prefer the kit in a USB form might miss the obscure reference to that form.

Jim
    edited 2005-01-18 19:45
    Gotcha (I had BOE on my mind). I will pass on a message to our web folks -- thanks for your feedback.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-18 20:47
    Glad to help. I guess some of us tend to get evangelical about the stamp. And that's a good thing. smile.gif

Jim
  • Puerto RicoPuerto Rico Posts: 1
    edited 2005-01-20 04:13
    I am having Problem with the Activity #4 i typed the first program.bs2 and i have an erro (Label is Missing) what happen?