Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need start up advice — Parallax Forums

Need start up advice

i is himi is him Posts: 7
edited 2005-01-18 22:47 in BASIC Stamp
Hi im a complete begginer to all of this pbasic and stamp programming.
Im looking to buy my first stamp and some accessories to go along with it so i need your advice.
My end goal is to be able 2 build a device that displays stuff on a lcd and has at least 3 buttons and at least 12 outputs
So i was wondering what i would need to buy to be able to do that(speed it not important).

Ive had a look at pbasic and it doesnt seem to hard to get the basics but i havent seen any really good examples of
how to print to an lcd(serial) and was wondering is it very hard to do?

ill proberbly think of more questions when somone helps me out with the first ones

thanks in advance

Dan

·

Comments

• Mark GMark G Posts: 11
    edited 2005-01-17 23:36
    You can check out the 2x16 BPI-216 serial LCD made by Scott Edwards Electronic www.seetron.com Also sold on the parallax web site. Very easy to use with a three wire hook up. Sending characters to the display is done with the SEROUT command The BPI_216 user manual has a couple of decent examples.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-18 00:50
    Dan,

I would recommend getting the Basic Stamp Discovery Kit. Check it out at www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27207. This includes the What is a Microcontroller (WAM) course. The WAM is an excellent introduction to both the hardware and software sides of stamps. While their web site doesn't say so, you can order this kit with the USB version of the BOE instead of the serial version. Or at least I was able to.

Jim
  • i is himi is him Posts: 7
    edited 2005-01-18 18:56
    thank you very much
    edited 2005-01-18 19:19
    Is it possible to use a BPP-420L with a stamp, in the manual it doesnt mention stamps or pbasic only qbasic
    and power basic?

http://www.seetron.com/slcds.htm
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-18 19:32
    Yes.· I found BS2 code right in the manual: http://www.seetron.com/pdf/bpp443.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-18 20:11
    sorry i mentioned the wrong 1 no matter, the cheap 1 suits my needs best

thanks very much for your·help
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-18 22:47
    Scott Edwards is an old friend of Parallax, and I'm pretty sure that all of his documentation includes PBASIC examples. He makes great products -- you can't go wrong using them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA