Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Removal — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Removal

MikeSMikeS Posts: 131
edited 2005-01-19 04:41 in BASIC Stamp
Stampers,
I have several BOEs and five different Stamps and have had the need to remove and replace Stamps on the BOEs. I use a small screw driver with a 90 degree bend on the end to gently pri the Stamp out of the socket. This has worked well with the Stamp (and other socketed ICs) and I have never bent a pin or damaged a chip. However the last time I removed a Stamp·I noticed there are some traces on the bottom of the Stamp board. I got to thinking that there might be·the possibility of damaging or scratching these traces with the screwdriver.·To prevent scratching the traces I placed a small piece of shrink tube on the end of the·screw driver·to prevent damage to the bottom of the board.
I have two projects that have ZIF sockets in them but don't have any of my BOEs (ones I had did not seem to fit very well).
Anyone else use a different method of Stamp removal?

Mike S.

Comments

• The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-01-17 18:37
    I have a ZIF socket on the NX-1000 board and it works fine. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a BOE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Bolg: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-17 18:43
    I have a ZIF socket on my BOE and it works just great.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-01-18 00:43
    I read the "bent screwdriver" technique in a blurb in a recent Nuts&Volts magazine.· How totally STUPID!· Prying the IC one end at a time can put a lot of stress on the legs and even bend or break them.· You should pull the IC out straight.· Dad allways taught me to use·the right tool for the right job.· An IC DIP Extractor is what you want.· It looks like a pair of tweezers that are bent at the ends.· Your talkin' maybe $5 or $6·at Radio Shack, Digikey, etc.··
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-18 00:54
    John said...
    An IC DIP Extractor is what you want. It looks like a pair of tweezers that are bent at the ends.

These work just fine on smaller DIPs, say under 14 and under pin count. But I've bent more pins using the cheapy tweezer style extractors than I have with any other technique. Maybe it's just me and others have better luck with them.

Jim
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-18 00:59
    I'm with you, Jim.· Takes a mighty pull to get a Stamp out of its socket, and chances are when it does come out it will go flying.· For years I have used a small screwdriver to carefully pry the Stamp out of its socket.· I k\let the blade of the screwdriver rest on the Stamp socket and push the Stamp up with the screwdriver's round shaft.· Never lost a Stamp [noparse]:)[/noparse])

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • MikeSMikeS Posts: 131
    edited 2005-01-18 03:13
    Steve said...
    (I read the "bent screwdriver" technique in a blurb in a recent Nuts&Volts magazine.· How totally STUPID!·)
    As I said before, I've never bent or broken a pin with the bent screwdriver. I too have·used DIP IC extractors over the years and find them awkward on tightly seated chips. I have even used the fancy ones that have a scissor action for a mechanical advantage. Now that I have the tip coated with shrink tube to prevent scratching the underside of the BS2 I'll continue to use the STUPID bent screwdriver.

Mike S.
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-18 03:43
    I just stack a couple of sockets. not good for steamlined applications though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-18 04:42
    Johny said...
    I just stack a couple of sockets.

Huh?

Do you mean that you put the stamp, or whatever chip, in a socket and then plug it into the socket on the PCB? I never thought about that, but it seems like it ought to work pretty nicely.

Jim
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-18 15:07
    Thats exactly what I meant, it saves your stamp pins from getting bent and extra DIP are cheap, plus they seem to come apart a bit easier.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-18 18:30
    Cool idea. Thanks for posting it.

You should learn one new thing each day. That's my thing for today. Now I can go back to bed.

Jim
  • MikeSMikeS Posts: 131
    edited 2005-01-19 01:24
    Johnny said...
    (Thats exactly what I meant, it saves your stamp pins from getting bent and extra DIP are cheap, plus they seem to come apart a bit easier.)

Johnny,

Thanks for the post. I'll give it a try.

Mike S.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-01-19 02:19
    O.K.... so maybe I was a bit hasty about it being "stupid"... since I am such a neophite, I concede to your collective experience and wisdom. I will go to the Dollar Store tomorrow and buy a screwdriver (for $1), bend the tip, cover with shrink tube and give it a try. BTW, I like the "socket" idea... once I give the "screwdrive" method a try, I think I will incorporate the 'socket" idea on all future work!

Thanks!
    edited 2005-01-19 04:41
    Steve,

The important part about the screwdriver is to gentle pry each side a little at a time, working the chip up and out. I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but, prying one side completely out, then the other, will result in bent and broken pins.

Jim