Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need copy of ancient text editor... — Parallax Forums

Need copy of ancient text editor...

AlanSteytlerAlanSteytler Posts: 4
edited 2005-07-11 13:26 in BASIC Stamp
[noparse][[/noparse]A newbie here...]

With my first project, having snagged from Ebay a couple of BS1-1Cs and BS2-1Cs and cables, I tried my program on the BS2 using the serial cable.· Tests fine.

Actually want to run this with one of the BS1s but I only have a parallel cable (no serial adapter). The 2.1 text editor·appears to·want to output only through the serial port.

I don't have an editor that outputs through the parallel port- is there a place I can download such?

TIA,
AlanSteytler

Comments

• HODXHODX Posts: 13
    edited 2005-01-17 16:17
    think the parallel port works only with the BS1 DOS editor
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-01-17 16:17
    Hello,

There are few things to consider here.· The parallel port and BS1 will only work in straight DOS and not Windows DOS.· This means you'll need a PC with Windows 98 or below.· If you want to use the editor version 2.1 you'll need the BS1 adapter and a db9 RS-232 straight through male to female cable.· The adapter is $4.95, here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27111

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • AlanSteytlerAlanSteytler Posts: 4
    edited 2005-01-17 17:39
    Thanks for the info. I do have a machine with Windows98, but I do not have the editor. I'm not balking at spending the $4.95, it's just that if I had the editor, I could be working on my project now, instead of waiting for UPS to show up.

Is the BS1 DOS editor something I can download from somewhere? Something that can be attached to an email? Available in some form or another?

Looking for immediate gratification...

TIA,
    AlanSteytler
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-17 19:06
    If this works, the BS1 editor should be in an attachment to this post...

To The nice guys at Parallax: Can you wait with deleteing this post until Alan has downloaded it? smile.gif

Post Edited (Gadgetman) : 1/17/2005 7:11:59 PM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-17 19:11
    Almost forgot...

To start:

STAMP Filename.BS

Press F1 to read the helpfile and [noparse][[/noparse]Esc] to exit the program
    This is actually a very nice and compact text editor, and resides on all my 'panic disks'...
  • AlanSteytlerAlanSteytler Posts: 4
    edited 2005-01-17 19:50
    Gadgetman said...
    If this works, the BS1 editor should be in an attachment to this post...

To The nice guys at Parallax: Can you wait with deleteing this post until Alan has downloaded it? smile.gif
    Got it.· Thanks for the help G!

ALS
  • christo1423christo1423 Posts: 19
    edited 2005-07-11 13:26
    to get to straight DOS without Windows 98 use a 98 BootDisk from www.bootdisk.com. the program you download there will create a floppy, you can insert the floppy into the computer restart, boot from the floppy, then you are in straight DOS. When working with older versions of Symantec Ghost I had to get into straight DOS alot.