Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
unclear about documentation — Parallax Forums

unclear about documentation

Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
edited 2005-01-17 00:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hey

I'm just preparing my pc connection for my bs2, getting ready to connect the pins for the serial connection, but I have a question.

Attached is an image of the cable which will be plugged INTO the pc and a picture of a page from the stamp manual.

my question is, from what perspective is this picture?

for example, in the picture, I am holding the end to go into the pc, should I wire it as shown in the picture in the book, or is it reversed, as if the book is showing the serial port from looking at the back of the PC perspective.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Johnny
2048 x 1536 - 171K

Comments

• John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2005-01-16 12:51
    Hi Johnny

Look closely at the plug. the numbers are printed in the plastic. You can even see them in the photo you sent.

Kind regards from Kwa Dukuza

John Bond
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-16 14:18
    That's certainly the proper end according to the attached page.· I can just make out the numbers starting with 1 on the top right.

And that is the right end DB9F (female) that will normally connect in to PC serial ports.·

Is it the other end you can't fit in?· The other end should be a DB9M (male) connector for the stamp board.

Are any pins bent on your PC port?· Are you sure it's the proper one (are you using a laptop; newer laptops don't have serial ports and you might be trying to connect in to the video port which wouldn't work).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • lrohnlrohn Posts: 33
    edited 2005-01-16 17:05
    Download the new Basic Stamp Mnaual Version 2.1, there are two .1uF capacitors that should be used when connecting to the stamp. They can be pickup up at rat shack.

I interfaced without them and everything appeared to work fine (i.e. I could download a progam into the stamp and run it) The problem was discovered whenever I rebooted the compter while the stamp was still connected with the serial cable. The program would reset and just hang there until I opened the basic stamp editor and then it would start running again.

Bottom line, get the caps, they are cheap and will save you some grief.

Luke
    445 x 285 - 31K
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-16 23:17
    Well, I've got my own custom carrier board made from some radio shack parts. I put the capacitors on and now I get loopback:yes and echo:yes

Unfortunatly it is not detecting the type of bs2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
  • Mark GMark G Posts: 11
    edited 2005-01-16 23:59
    I believe that the illustration in the stamp manual is viewed·from the solder side (Rear - inside)·of the plug.·

Your picture of the plug in your left hand·is showing the Front (outside) therefore pin 1 would be the upper right pin.
  • lrohnlrohn Posts: 33
    edited 2005-01-17 00:45
    Do you have your BS2 grounded to the carrier board and also have power running to it?

In other words PIN 23 needs to be connected to system ground (the common ground on your carrier board).

If you built your own 5 volt regulator on to the carrier board then connect your regulated voltage between 4.5 Volts and 5.5 volts to PIN 21. Otherwise connect uregulated power between 5.5 and 15 Volts dc to PIN 24. This will then internally regulate the voltage to 5 volts.

Luke