Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The BS2 — Parallax Forums

The BS2

MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
edited 2005-01-18 23:26 in BASIC Stamp
I have a few questions about this stuff, like what is the temperature range for
a stamp, what does stamp stand for, and do you think this program will work?

the IN4 and IN5 commands are for a pushbutton circuit that I have designed.

+ 5 VDC
|
|
| |
| |
* | * |
* | * |
| |
IN5 --+ IN4--+ | |

--- ---
- -
bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
So many projects, so little time.

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-15 15:53
    never mind the circuit-it got crushed

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-15 16:40
    It's best to post your schematics as images (JPG, GIF), but if you want to use ASCII art, don't do it in the Quick Reply box -- use the full editor and a fixed pitch font like Courier New.

The Stamp name came from the observation (by then Parallax employee Lance) that the original BS1 board was about the same size and an international postage stamp. The early manuals used postage stamp graphics on the cover.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-15 16:47
    Bugg,
    In regards to your temperature question, the range for the BS2 and varients is 0 to 70C.· There's an industrial version of the BS2 that'll go down to -40C (which I love and use a lot).

Hey Jon, any plans for an industrial BS2e,p, or sx?· I would definately eat those up.

Dave
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-01-15 16:56
    There are no plans for the B2e or BS2p as of now regarding·an industrial version.· However, there is an industrial BS2sx that is available.· You can contact our·sales department at 1-888-512-1024 for more information.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 1/15/2005 5:34:34 PM GMT
    edited 2005-01-15 23:21
    Dave,
    Sweet, why don't y'all have that advertised like you do the BS2 industrial?

Dave
    edited 2005-01-15 23:50
    Sorry about that, Jon. I don't have those programs. Anyway, the circuit is made of 2
    pushbuttons connected to a common anode an connected to 2 different pins.
    I'm using a Boe-Bot with tank treads.
    Achilles03,
    you would be able to have a Boe-Bot running outside in winter for short periods of time,
    right?

bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-01-16 04:47
    Bugg,
    Well, depends on what's a short period. 5 minutes? Probably ok. 50 minutes? Probably not. A BS2 industrial will ensure that the limiting factor wouldn't be the stamp, and it's only 5$ more than the regular stamp.

Also, according to sales ALL BS2sx's are industrial. I've been asked by more than a few people via email about the low temperature performance of the BS2 industrial cause of my project on the customer apps page. Y'all (Parallax) should probably update the BS2sx's information on the website, as some potential customers might not be biting because it lists (incorrectly) its lowest operating temperature as only 0C.
    Dave
    edited 2005-01-16 21:09
    Achilles03,
    the time period would be more like 5 minutes.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jonathan AllisonJonathan Allison Posts: 96
    edited 2005-01-18 15:15
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think the life of a battery is compromised by cold conditions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Johnny
    edited 2005-01-18 18:35
    Yes, most alkaline's have a poor capacity at low temps and stop completely around -18F or so. But if you put an AA battery in a -30F room (no wind), it'll still take a while (maybe 30 minutes?) before the battery hits -18F. You can use AA lithium batteries (available pretty much anywhere nowdays), which have a higer capacity and operate down to around -30F or -40F, but are more expensive (about three times more).

Dave
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-18 19:41
    We used to use mercury batteries in work.· But had to give them up due to some sort of health concern!rolleyes.gif

Anyhow, these guys worked and worked and worked....almost never changed in voltage and would work to down near -30degC where mercury will freeze (or change chemical composition--can't remember).

Anyhow, we used these to calibrate wind speed tachometers in the field.· Wind normally turns a small tachometer (generator) which creates a voltage....we replace that with a battery of known voltage so we can calibrate our displays that are 1km away.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-01-18 23:26
    Thanks guys.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔