Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Control — Parallax Forums

Servo Control

blakrapterblakrapter Posts: 38
edited 2005-01-13 23:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone.· I am new to this board, as well as robotics.· I have minimal experience with microprocessors, but I am learning fast.· Anyway, I am working on a project that requires a relatively powerful servo motor (~1HP, extremely low output speed and low voltage->12DC).· I have not had any luck finding servos this size.· All the ones I have been able to locate are made for small RC vehicles.· So, I need to either find one that will work, or build my own servo control circuit.· I am looking for any information or help you may be able to give me to locate such a motor, or build such a circuit.· It doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to read an encoder input and drive the motor with an external high power controller/amp until the encoder input equals the desired level.· Unfortunatly, I am not savy enough in this field to know where to start.· If you know of any websites or other sources to guide me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-01-13 21:20
    Hello,

You maybe able to find the servos at www.towerhobbies.com .· They carry a wide selection of servos, all different sizes.

Regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • agentileagentile Posts: 101
    edited 2005-01-13 22:59
    I am not sure that you are going to find a 1hp motor that uses 12V, not unless it is custom made.· This type of motor·would require approximately 65 amps to drive it.··The windings would have to be somewhere around 4 gauge wire.· You can get some very·powerful and very slow DC motors.· And you can also get microprocessor-controlled motor drivers.· I would recommend looking at Baldor to see what kind of motors are available.· Then maybe you can tailor your project to·fit one of their gear motors.

DC Gear Motors at Baldor
    http://www.baldor.com/products/product.asp?1=1&product=Gear+Products&family=DC+Gear+Motors|vw_GearProducts_DCGearMotors

AG
  • trendtrend Posts: 112
    edited 2005-01-13 23:13
    Urhm.· You mentioned both.. but did you want an RC style servo? (I really doubt you will find one like this)

Or a servo motor (like a motor with an encoder on it?)

If you are using a motor with an encoder on it:
    Another issue you are going to face is the slow rotating speed. How slow? If the motor isn't geared for very slow operation.. you might be looking at driving the motor at a lower voltage (I had to do this in a project I was working on).

Also, you can always use PWM to drive the motor so you can make the motor go as slow or as fast as you want. If you use PWM you will need to purchase the additional PWM controller"" to use with the bs2.

Hope that helps... I remember being in your exact shoes about 6months ago :/

·