Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Good measurements? — Parallax Forums

Good measurements?

achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
edited 2005-01-27 16:48 in BASIC Stamp
What are some good measurements to take in the upper atmosphere?· I've already got a temperature sensor, but I have a few pins left and enough memory to add some more.· Humidity would be one, but seems kind of boring.· Any good suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-13 20:15
    Radiation (X-rays), carbon dioxide concentration, ozone level, to mention a few.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-13 20:15
    pressure?!

Light radiation

gas spectrometer?! [noparse]:p[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-13 21:36
    Good ideas, although I might not have a budget for some of them... light X-ray or gas spectrometer.

CO2 and ozone could be cool. Are there any reasonably cheap off-the-shelf sensors for those?

I considered pressure, but didn't want to shell out 20$ for a pressure sensor... anyone know a good source for cheap pressure sensors?
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-13 22:01
    Thought about GPS?

We have some upper air sondes that we send up and the new ones have GPS.
    But otherwise they have humidity, pressure and temp.·

if you built an air tight housing with a balloon on one side (where an opening would have to be made).· Then put one of them flexisensors against the back of the balloon....as you go up in atmosphere, the pressure reduces which sucks the balloon in to the chamber.· This puts a force on those sensors which could be read.· Of course, this isn't linear (the more a balloon stretches the harder it is to stretch)....so you'd have to do some sort of calibration curve beforehand I think!· And to do that properly you'd need a REAL pressure sensor in a test capsule to compare to your made up jobby.
    Anyhow...just a thought!

Really though, you're limited to only a few things up in the air....well, you could measure wind and direction...but that's pretty well wasted on the point that your 'rocket' (assuming that's what you're using) is moving anyhow!

Buy one of those keychain digital camera's ($30canadian) and connect her up to a 555timer and take some pics on the way up!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • upand_at_themupand_at_them Posts: 61
    edited 2005-01-27 16:48
    How about getting an O2 sensor from a junkyard?

Mike

·