Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic STAMP Web question — Parallax Forums

Basic STAMP Web question

The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
edited 2005-01-14 17:32 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I wonder if someone can help me with ideas for a simple way to access information from and control a Basic STAMP via the web.

Let me say up front that I am functionally illiterate when it comes to TCP/IP, writing scripts, and programming VB. I can program the STAMP and I'm sure I can access and manipulate the serial or parallel port of the PC if necessary. One good thing...I have a daughter who is very good at HTML· [noparse]:)[/noparse]

In looking at the Red-I STAMP·web server on the Parallax site, it looks to me like overkill. Shouldn't what I want to do cost less than $99? All I really need to do is have the STAMP upload a variable to a web site either on a timed basis or after some external event. I would also like the STAMP to be able to react to the change of state of a variable on a web site.

I actually had limited success a couple years ago checking the state of a bit on a STAMP through a web page by using a product called "Micro Web Serv" if i remember correctly, and it didn't cost anything.·But now that seems to have disappeared from the web. At the time,·I wasn't able to devote very much time to play with it, and now that I want to get serious about it, it's gone.

Any suggestions or examples of what you've done would be greatly appreciated!

Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
Bolg: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com

Comments

• trendtrend Posts: 112
    edited 2005-01-13 19:07
    Does the bs2 have to be directly hooked up to rj11/rj45/cell phone?

Or can the bs2 be hooked up to a computer?..
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-01-13 19:57
    Trend,
    The STAMP can be connected to a computer. Hope that makes the problem easier [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-01-14 06:12
    Bruce,

I worked extensively with MicroWebServ. I created several projects which ran on the Parallax web site which included a temperature sensor, a PID thermostat in my office and a "send your self an e-mail from the Stamp" application. I can tell you for certain that this program was fairly complex. Although the interface with the Stamp was simple, the difficulties of web page creation, firewalls and configuration of an undocumented software made it inappropriate for the masses. The supplier no longer supports the product.

But out of this experience we worked with Redpoint Controls to make the Red-I. It does exactly what you want and it's much easier to use. Load a web page into the device with their software, and serial I/O from the Stamp manipulates variables in the web page. No wasting a whole PC for this task anymore. It's a better solution.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2005-01-14 10:56
    Thanks, Ken,
    Guess I'll have to cough up the hundred clams and give it as try!
    Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-01-14 17:18
    Unfortunately Bruce, right now it's a backordered product. This particular supplier is the focus of lots of attention within our company by being at the top of our backorder list. They produce an excellent product with reasonably high volumes but delivery could use some improvement. We're working with them on this issue, but I believe our latest information is that we expect inventory within a week from now.

Also, if you find it doesn't suit your needs I'll provide a 100% money-back guarantee as long as you need to get your application running. I've got confidence it fits the needs you identified above, but if it doesn't meet your needs I'll take it back.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-01-14 17:32
    Ken, That's one more reason why I have always been very pleased when dealing with Parallax!
    Thanks,
    Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔