Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help Please — Parallax Forums

Help Please

HimszyHimszy Posts: 28
edited 2005-01-12 19:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I set up my basic stamp 2 module and my computer can't find it. It says yes in the echo column but that's it.·Pin 2 - 5 is connected to a file transfer serial cable pins 2 - 5. On the last two pins of the module, the last one is connected to the red cable of a 9V battery snap and the last but 1 is connected to the black cable. I've tested the pin that outputs 5V and it is, so I know it's got power. Any ideas what the problem is? I'm thinking it's the cable.

Thanks Michael

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-11 22:05
    Are you using a standard serial cable to connect the Stamp to your PC?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • HimszyHimszy Posts: 28
    edited 2005-01-11 22:19
    I bought a standard serial cable but the gender on it was wrong. I need 2 females when I got a female/male. So I added on this file transfer cable to the standard cable. Is there a way in which I can work out if its standard or not?
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-11 22:33
    Standard serial calbes are male/female.· The female end plugs into your computer, the male end to the Stamp.· If your PC does not have a serial port you will have to get a USB to serial adapter and use that.· Parallax has them.· Don't try to jury-rig a cable - you just might smoke the Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
    edited 2005-01-11 22:39
    OK thanks, is my power setup right as I wasn't too sure
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-01-12 00:28
    Michael -

If you are using the kind of file transfer cable that I suspect you are, it's wired like a null modem. That is to say, pins 2 and 3 are crossed internal to the cable:
    Incorrect Correct
    2- - 2 2---->2
    \ / verses what it should be
    / \
    3- -3 3---->3

Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx Rx to Rx, Tx to Tx

You need a cable that's wired straight-through with full pin correspondence on each end.
    Pins 1-9 on one end go straight through to pins 1-9 on the other end with no crossings.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-01-12 19:48
    Ok thanks, I'm gonna get a gender converter for my cable at the weekend. Let you know how that works out.