Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Airport Security — Parallax Forums

Airport Security

Bent CarhoodBent Carhood Posts: 10
edited 2005-01-10 14:34 in BASIC Stamp
Anyone have any experience lately with traveling with your Basic Stamp projects?· I've got a basic stamp project in a plastic project box that I'd like to bring with me on a business trip to program at night.· I could only guess what airport security might image it is. I had enough trouble when I was a traveling with a pre-production·model of Tablet PC; they wanted me to "open it up".· It took me a while to·convince them that it didn't have a keyboard to "open up".

TIA

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-01-09 00:53
    Ya know, I totally understand what you mean...And alot of this is in light of the 9/11 attacks...But you know, under the right circumstances, paranoia can really make one's life interesting, to say the least!

I'll share a little story from·5th grade (boy was THAT a long time ago!)...I built a small "Light Meter" using a microphone, op-amp, some transistors, colored·light bulbs and some "D" batteries...I was a poor tinkerer so I built this whole thing inside of a 2-liter Pepsi bottle.· I cut the bottom off where the black base was glued on, and mounted the electronics inside with the microphone in the spout end.

A kid in school saw me putting it into my locker in school...Next thing I know the Sheriff's Dept. was there and I was suspended from school!· After I "Defused the BOMB!"

Yeah!· My mother recently reminded me of this at a family gathering over the holidays...So I could just Imagine what it's like for people with similar-looking electronics projects at an airport!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-01-09 03:38
    I'd suggest giving them a call beforehand.

The old rule used to be....if it was questionable, then check it with your baggage.· They always seemed to be less anal when bags were check than when you were carrying them.· BUT, that was when they MIGHT scan 30% of checked baggage (where all carry-on is checked 100%).

Anyhow, I don't know if mailing is an option either....but certainly give the airline a call!· Going international?· Call customs too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-09 04:19
    When I go to our California office I have a whole bunch of parts with me -- but they all go through checked baggage. Way before 9/11 when I worked in the irrigation industry, I used to travel through Europe with circuit boards for golf course sprinkler controllers -- let me just say that I've been frisked while having a gun pointed at me more than once. It isn't a lot of fun -- check your electronics;·don't try to take them onto a plane.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • John BondJohn Bond Posts: 369
    edited 2005-01-10 14:34
    This is a little off the point but it an amusing anecdote.

In my youth (mid 70's), I got involved in one of Africa's many wars. Our enemy had good Russian equipment and I came across some amazing “miniturised valve” range finding equipment. Realising that I would be searched before getting home, I AWOLed into the next country and at the 1st village I came to I posted it home in a package labelled "Survey Equipment - Returned for Repair". I then returned to my unit.

When I was demobed, I was searched, I had my kit taken away and I was issued with new clothes so that it would be difficult to prove that I had been involved in that fighting. I was sent home on a tortuous route to hide country of departure.

About 5 months later I was notified by the Post Office that I had to clear a parcel through customs (things in Africa can move very slowly). I had completely forgotten about the range finder. The Customs Official had also done some service in this war so he turned a blind eye. Unfortunately, The parcel had been so badly handled that a couple of the valves had been broken.

The only lesson I learned from that 6 months of madness is that wars in Africa achieves little good and loads of anguish and despair, no matter how good their cause. This is probably true of almost all war.

Kind Regards from Kwa Dukuza

John Bond