Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reading a keyboard? — Parallax Forums

Reading a keyboard?

Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
edited 2005-01-09 19:28 in BASIC Stamp
Is there any way (or at least a practical way) to use a keyboard to control a Stamp?· Im working on a computer case controlled by a Stamp to show off at LAN parties and wanted to be able to use the keyboard to control its functions.· What would be even better would be to use the shortcut keys on some keyboards so it could run all the time.· Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• awassonawasson Posts: 57
    edited 2005-01-08 06:36
    Here is the index for Stamp aps over at Nuts & Volts Magazine:
    www.nutsvolts.com/stmpindx.htm

There are at least 2 circuits for hooking up hex pads and LED/LCD Displays for Basic Stamp and BS2's.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-01-08 13:37
    I have a keyboard connected to a Stamp via a PAK6A interface.· The system is a stand-alone and completely independent of my PC after the Stamp is programmed.· From the keyboard, the Stamp will run three things, stop three things, read two ADC channels and perform addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, extract square root and extract cube root.· There is no end to what I can make the Stamp do from the keyboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester?

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
    edited 2005-01-08 23:30
    What is a PAK6A interface?
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-08 23:48
    Google sees all and knows all

www.al-williams.com/pak6.htm

Jim
  • Justin PentecostJustin Pentecost Posts: 14
    edited 2005-01-09 18:19
    I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you want to do.··· If you want the keyboard to be dedicated to the stamp module then the PAK module is the way to go.···· If you want the·keybpoard to control the stamp VIA the computer then there is a Nuts and Volts article on how to make a Visual Basic inface for the stamp.··· That would give you buttons on the desktop to control the case.

Is this what you want ?

Justin
  • Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
    edited 2005-01-09 19:28
    I was planning to split the wires from the keyboard (make a Y-cable) and have one end go to the computer and another to the stamp. The stamp would have a seperate switch that would keep it from reading the keyboard so it doesnt go nuts when I type.