Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drilling BASIC Stamp 2SX OEM Module — Parallax Forums

Drilling BASIC Stamp 2SX OEM Module

BorisBoris Posts: 81
edited 2005-01-12 15:49 in BASIC Stamp
I have BASIC Stamp 2SX OEM Module, and i need to securely mount it in a project box. For some reason those who designed it did not predrill any mounting holes in the circuit board. In my project·the board is connected to another board with the RS232 port, but thats not enough support. I was wondering if its possible to drill a small hole in the top-left corner of the board (if the components are facing you, the RS232 port is on the bottom, and the all the pins are along the right edge). It does not look like there are any traces in that area, but I am not sure.
Is it safe to drill a small 1-2mm hole there?

Comments

• MagicRuBMagicRuB Posts: 12
    edited 2005-01-06 19:15
    You're fine as long as you stay clear of any PCB traces (wires). Also, watch out for the head of the screw and/or nut s that it isn't touching any traces as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Current Project:

http://www.BulldogBot.com
    ·
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-01-06 20:04
    Is it just a two layer board (top and bottom), no innner layers. No hidden traces?
    I thought it was, just wanted to make sure.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-06 22:27
    Yes, just a two-layer board. It was designed for plugging into a breadboard, hence no mounting holes. Be careful....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • MagicRuBMagicRuB Posts: 12
    edited 2005-01-06 22:31
    I suggest glue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Current Project:

http://www.BulldogBot.com
    ·
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-01-07 00:46
    I had the same issue... I actually used the holes that are for the RS-232 port.· I cut out the tabs and used screws with stand-offs.· It worked pretty good!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-01-07 16:32
    I have done what Steve has done...I mounted the SIP header to my mainboard, then the 9-pin connector to the cabinet via the 2 hex screws built into it.· If you don't want this connector exposed, you could still do the same thing by running two flat metals braces to those screws.

Or, you could just carefully drill the board...· tongue.gif·· There is a section right above the interpreter chip that is clear of traces all the way to the corner.· The other corner doesn't look good.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    Designs Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/designs
    ·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-01-11 16:19
    DON'T USE POWER TOOLS!!!!· Use a pin vise to hold the drill bit and turn with your fingers.

When drilling printed circuit boards, I find that if you use a pin vise with small drill bits, you get very accurate results and much better control.·

You usually can finish the project in the same time it takes to find and plug in the drill.·

And, you will not have those nasty accidental slips and wandering that happen with a power drill.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-01-11 19:18
    An easier solution might be industrial strength velcro. It's a peel and stick solution with no major modifications to the PCB. I've used that stuff on PCB's in high altitude balloons and a rocket that exceeded 10g's. Are you securing it against vibration or acceleration?

Dave
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-01-11 20:03
    I am securing it against mechanic's fat fingers.

The BS2, along with other compoenents is mouned in a 3x6x8,·plastic project box. This is for an industrial aplication, and i have to account for a posibilty of this box being dropped, etc...
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-01-11 20:25
    Why not stick it into place using clear silicone?

That ought to protect it against just about anything...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-01-12 15:49
    How do you disassemble silicone? You might as well pot the whole thing in epoxy.

I have a whole pile of plastic (obviously non-conductive) screws, nuts, and stand-offs. With the addition of a convienent hole or two, I can have something that can be removed or modified whenever I find I need to redesign or the project is no longer needed.

I also use the pin vise and drill for very small bits that tend to break. These bits can clear a solder filled hole on a circuit board when required or I can use the small bit to cut just one printed circuit wire when the need to modify and existing circuit is needed.

Try a pin vise and use will wonder why you ever thought use needed more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan