Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Windows XP serial port — Parallax Forums

Windows XP serial port

RogerDRogerD Posts: 3
edited 2005-01-06 12:20 in BASIC Stamp
Back in 2002 I built a system around a stamp2 which for three years has successfully controlled various lights, horns and countdown displays to control racing at our local Yacht Club.· I now need to update the BS2 program.· Unfortunately the computer I used previously has died and I cannot get my replacement Windows XP laptop to talk to the BS2 through its serial port.· I can run and edit the BS2 software in a window but need someone to tell me what settings to use on the COM1 serial port as windows has not set it up to match the BS2.· Can anyone help?

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 2
    edited 2005-01-05 22:08
    In XP goto -> ControlPanel -> System -> DeviceManager -> Ports (Com&LPT)
    Check there if the ComPort (RS232) is properly assigned, doubleclick on the Port and under Portsettings click advanced button, there you can change the COM#
    Beware for conflicts!

Bart-Belgium
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-01-05 22:17
    Also, you may need to set the port's FIFO settings to zero.
  • RogerDRogerD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-01-06 08:47
    I am having another go on an old Win98 laptop rather than risk upsetting the Win XP laptop
    How do I know / change which port Stamp2.exe is addressing ?

COM1 and COM3 are currently on default settings
    9600bps, 8 databits,none parity,1 stop bit,Xon/Xoff flow control, FIFO on, I/O range 03E8-03EF, interrupt request 04.

I get "Hardware not found" when I hit ALT R·to download·the program.

The target device is running its loaded program OK, when I plug in the serial lead its display becomes unstable, so it seems to be ready to reload.·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-01-06 09:04
    Roger -

In the Windows Stamp Editor, at the top of the screen, do the following:
    Directive --> Port --> COM1 | COM2 | COM3

That will take care of the port assignment.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • RogerDRogerD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-01-06 12:20
    Thanks for the help.
    The only way I can make the serial port work is by booting the old Win98 laptop in DOS mode and directing it to COM1 by using STAMP2 /1 in the command line. It then seems happy to accept the default windows port settings and is not worried by flow control. Bit of a pain, particularly as I have had to reduce all the file/dir names down to 8 characters, but at least I have a means of updating the target system again.
    RogerD