Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connect using serial to usb — Parallax Forums

Connect using serial to usb

BURL IRWINBURL IRWIN Posts: 2
edited 2004-12-30 18:39 in BASIC Stamp
jumpin.gif·I am brand new to stamps. My background is industrial electrical, process control and instrumentation.· I purchased a homework board some time ago and am finally trying to connect it to my new laptop USB port with an adapter cable purchased from Parallax.· I am powering the homework board with a 6V regulated power supply.· My laptop has 3 USB ports and auto select is enabled.· When I plug the USB cable into any of the ports I get an audible confirmation from my computer that a connection has been made but when I try to communicate with the stamp I get a message that the com port can't open.· I have tied assigning every possible com port to be used with the same result. If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it very much.· I'm new to this so start from square one. Thanks.
···································
·······························································BURLIRWIN@MSN.COM

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2004-12-29 23:36
    Burl,

Worry not. We will get you up and running. You will likely need to install drivers. I assume you are using the FTDI USB to Serial Adapter? If so, did you follow the instructions at this link?

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

At the bottom of the page there is a PDF file showing the installation procedure.

This should help.

Ken Gracey
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2004-12-30 18:39
    If you are using Windows XP I·think that you may need to change the latency setting in your com port.· The easiest way to do this is to:

Click on "Control Panel"

Click·on "Systems"

Click on "Hardware"

Click on "Device Manager"

Click on "Ports"

Click on the com port that you are using

Click on "Port Setting"

Click on "Advance" and change the "Latency" from 16 to 1 and this should solve the problem.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·