Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with 7 segment dighital display — Parallax Forums

Help with 7 segment dighital display

um..., Hium..., Hi Posts: 64
edited 2004-12-28 19:18 in BASIC Stamp
Hey,

I got the, Whats a microcontroler? an intro to paralax basic, recently and i am working with the 7 seg. display, but the B segment wont light up i am using the OUTH, DITH commands i have tried multiple resistors but i just cant get it to light up!

any help, much appreciated turn.gif

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2004-12-28 03:00
    Try running the LED B segment test shown on page 165. In this test you should have a 1K resistor connected from Vdd to pin 6 on the LED display and pin 3 connected to Vss. If the B segment works, then build the circuit on page 169 which relies on the program listed on pages 169-170.

Make sure you've built the circuit on page 169 correctly - there is NO connection to pin 8 on the LED display!
  • um..., Hium..., Hi Posts: 64
    edited 2004-12-28 03:10
    ok i did that but it tunrs out that hole p15 in the breadboard does not work, is there any fix?

(again)any help, much appreciated

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wish i knew how to put a pic here! Oh, well!
    edited 2004-12-28 06:06
    ok new development, i can use the high 15 command on pin 15 and it works but not when i use the outh, i am baffled!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-28 15:08
    When you do this...

HIGH 15

It is the same as doing this:

OUT15 = 1
    DIR15 = 1

Notice that second line? It makes the pin an output.· If you're going to be writing to the OUTS register directly, you must setup DIRS the way you need.· So, if you want all the OUTH (P8 - P15) pins to be outputs, you need to do this:

DIRH = %11111111

And in case you don't like counting 1s (that could be the problem, you left a "1" out of the DIRH defintion), you can use HEX:

DIRH = $FF

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-12-28 19:18
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I forgot a 1 on my first dirh command

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔