Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proteus VSM for bs2? Where is it? — Parallax Forums

Proteus VSM for bs2? Where is it?

RickBRickB Posts: 395
edited 2004-12-27 19:33 in BASIC Stamp
Jon: I can't to find the download for this particular version of the simulator. There are pages at lab center that describe it, but the download area refers only to the "lite" vers. or the "demo" vers. but no "bs2" vers. Could you clarify?

Rick

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-27 14:23
    I don't know anything about that product, but a quick check of the page that describes the shareware version seems to indicate that the PIC16F84A is the only micro supported. You need to contact them directly as this is not a Parallax product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2004-12-27 16:07
    Since it is advertised in your download area, I thought you might know about it. Since Lab Center is closed until Jan 4, does anyone at Parallax know about this?
    www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/proteus.asp

Rick

Post Edited (RickB) : 12/27/2004 4:20:09 PM GMT
    edited 2004-12-27 16:50
    So it is ... surprise to me. I tend to like to work with real circuits; the virtual ones have never interested me, hence my ignorance of that product.· Our web site has several links to the Proteus web site -- perhaps you need files from those links.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office

Post Edited (Jon Williams) : 12/27/2004 4:52:16 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-27 17:50
    On a related topic: Jon, what schematic capture package have you been using for those lovely schematics you've been producing lately? Proteus VSM comes with ISIS, which look like it produces similar results.
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2004-12-27 18:39
    After spending some time at the Proteus sites, the following is what I've determined. They have a shareware version of their 'Lite'product. As Jon pointed out, the Lite version only supports the PIC16F84 and a limited number of virtual instruments. You have to purcase the "Pro" version for the specifically targetted controller chip in order to get support for other chips.

I went ahead and downloaded the Pro demo program. It has sample circuits for a number of PIC chips, 8051, HC11, Amtel AVR, and last, but certainly best, the Basic Stamp BS1, BS2, BS2p, and BS2sx.

In their documentation they spell out the restrictions of the demo copy of their Pro software. I've pasted it below. You ought to be able to get a good feel for the product from the demo. Beyond that it's 99 pounds sterling for the full Pro version for the BS2. They specifically say on their 'How to Order' page that they do not provide an eCommerce option for their products. Delivery is only available by Post, which to the US is 20 pounds sterling. That works out to almost US$40 at the present exchange rate!!! mad.gif

Hope this helps,

Jim

Demo version restriction as stated by Proteus software:
    The version of PROTEUS on this disk is essentially the same as a full copy, and you will be able to use it to evaluate the system. However, the following restrictions have been imposed:

· Saving is disabled.
    · Printing is enabled for unmodified designs only. This enables you to print the sample designs in order to evaulate the hard copy capabilities, but prevents you from generating hard copy from your own drawings.
    · Only limited libraries and model files are supplied.
    To see a list of library parts and model support double click the Library Documentation icon in the Proteus Demonstration program group or select it from the Start Menu.

Please note that the full online help has been included, including the tutorials which you can print out using the Print Topic command in Help. The help includes virtually everything that is included in the printed documentation so you should be able to find out most things you might want to know about the system. However, if you still have any questions, please feel free to call us - you will not find us lacking in technical know-how.
    You can launch both the ISIS Schematic Capture and ARES PCB Design programs from the Start Menu. The PROSPICE simulator and VSM functionality is accessed from within ISIS.

In the first instance, you may find it easier to load up some of the the sample designs.
    edited 2004-12-27 19:33
    The tool I used depends on the application: For most of my work (for print) I use Corel Draw; it's what we use at Parallax for schematics and mechanical drawings.· For Help files I cut and paste from a library of symbols I've found or created (I have a grid template to keep things nice and neat).· In the December issue of Nuts & Volts I used the schematic capture program that's part of ExpressPCB.
    allanlane5 said...
    On a related topic: Jon, what schematic capture package have you been using for those lovely schematics you've been producing lately? Proteus VSM comes with ISIS, which look like it produces similar results.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office