Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Palm Pilot infrared port — Parallax Forums

Palm Pilot infrared port

Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
edited 2005-01-01 18:29 in BASIC Stamp
I got a Sony Clie Palm Pilot that has an infrared port.· Does anyone know how to use the port or program it to output different pulses to communicate with a stamp?·
I know it can be done somehow, Ive heard of people programming them to output a pulse that matches that of the infrared emitters in slot machines so that they can trick the machine into thinking no coins are coming out.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-12-27 11:25
    Hi, I have a Tungsten E Palm. Actually, the Palm Pilot is the name for one of the earliest models and the Sony Clie is far more sophisticated.

You can do two things.

First, I think the Sony Clie has a program that allows you to make it function as an IR remote control [noparse][[/noparse]similar to a TV remote control]. You can use this interface and program a BasicStamp2p to recognize the code.

Second, there is a nice inexpensive C program that you can buy for less than $20US. It is called Pocket C. It will allow you to write your own custom IR interface so that you don't have to interpolate TV channels to commands.

I don't know about IR on slot machines, but if you are in Las Vegas or Nevada, they say the desert is full of bodies. They are a tough crowd to tangle with. It ain't worth it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • WombaxWombax Posts: 19
    edited 2005-01-01 13:23
    Hi, I did it in that way using my Sony Cli
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-01-01 15:01
    I don't know of any infrared devices that you can use, but there is a company called FlexiPanel http://www.flexipanel.com/BasicStamp/index.htm that is coming out with a Bluetooth device that maybe of interest to you.· They mentioned that that they should have it ready by the first quarter of this year 2005.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-01-01 18:29
    Gosh is it spring already???

www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30070 smile.gif

Jim