Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problem with boe board, please help!!! — Parallax Forums

problem with boe board, please help!!!

DestroyerXDestroyerX Posts: 34
edited 2005-01-04 00:34 in BASIC Stamp
I was having problems with my BOE board, and I·thought you guys might be able to help me.

Just so you know, I'm running Windows XP Pro, BOE revision B, and BS2.

My BOE w/ BS2 has been working fine since today.· I plug in the batteries and the power ligh comes on.· When I click on the identify button, it finds it, but when I try to download programs, it doesn't see it.· I tried the troubleshooting that the manual suggests which involves unchecking the FIFO buffers box.· It has been working just fine until today.· I have not run any circuits on it today or done much with it at all.· Please help me.

Thank you,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Unreal tournament 2004 rox

Post Edited (DestroyerX) : 12/23/2004 9:17:06 PM GMT

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-24 00:41
    What serial cable are you using? Is it straight through?

What 'Batteries' are you using? As I recall, the BOE has a plug for a 9-volt, but that's about it.

This can be a low battery, or a mis-plugged serial cable. Or, using the 'wrong' (a 'null-modem' or 'not straight-through') cable.

Did you unplug and plug back in your BS2? If you were off a pin, maybe you could see this.
  • DestroyerXDestroyerX Posts: 34
    edited 2004-12-24 00:48
    I don't know what kind of serial cable it is. What do you mean by straight through? It goes right from my Dell to·my BOE.· I don't know what you mean, sorry. For the batteries, I'm using the 4 AA pack that has a connecter to connect to the BOE. I plugged and unplugged it many times.

My PC is recognizing the BS2, it just can't download. What do you think is my problem?

Thanks for your help,

Hopefully you guys can help me get my BOE back workin.

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (DestroyerX) : 12/24/2004 1:27:08 AM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2004-12-24 02:05
    The BOE (Rev C) requires a 9 volt source to power the BS2. It sounds like you're only applying 6 volts (4 AA batteries) to Vin - which is not enough for the 7805 regulator to output 5 V DC at Vdd. The 7805 regulator needs at least 7.5 volts at Vin to work properly.
    edited 2004-12-24 02:29
    I'm using BOE revision B.

I don't know if that's the problem. I tried a brand new 9 volt battery and it didn't work. Also, I've been using a 5 volt input for almost two years w/o any problems. My board just stopped working today.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (DestroyerX) : 12/24/2004 3:53:52 AM GMT
    edited 2004-12-25 15:39
    I hooked up a digital multimeter to my board and my board blew the fuse on the multimeter, so I think some resister on my board has been fried.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-25 15:52
    What were you measuring? Did you have your meter set to Volts?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-12-25 16:10
    I was measuring volts. The fuse was regulated to 250V and .5A. I'm sure my fuse blew, but was it because too much current was passing through?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-12-26 02:04
    You shouldn't blow your fuse measuring voltage, especially at the low voltages you’re using. If you by accident put your meter in the current mode (Amps, mA, etc.) and tried to measure voltage it would blow it. I have screwed this up many times when switching between measuring voltage and current.
    edited 2004-12-26 03:48
    I don't understand.· If I set it to current testing, how could I measure voltage?· If it's set to measure current, won't it only measure current?

Thanks,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-12-26 13:48
    I suspect you wanted to measure voltage, but set the dial to current.

The fuse (500ma) is there to primarily protect the amp meter on low scale measurements.

It may also protect the ohm meter.

Usually, the voltmeter is high impedance and can protect itself as long as the range is higher than the voltage.

You may also notice that the HIGH amp meter says 'unprotected'.· Even on a Fluke, you can burn you your meter by misuse of the high amp meter.· And, you can do some serious injury to yourself [noparse][[/noparse]burns].

Replace your fuse and start over as your thinking has gotten sidetracked and the conclusions your are drawing are based on muddled information. I often get into similar straits from overwork or too much coffee.· Technical solutions need a clear mind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 12/26/2004 1:49:48 PM GMT
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2004-12-30 00:13
    DestoyerX- What he means by straight-thru is a null modem cable swaps pins 2 and 3.
    -bugg
    edited 2004-12-31 15:26
    I'm currently away from my home for new years, but when I get home tomorrow, I'll measure the voltages I need and post them so you can tell me what they mean. I do not know if I have a straight through cable; all I know is that it's a serial cable that came with the BOE bot (board revision B).

As I said before, my PC recognizes the board and also says there is loopback. What do you think my problem is? Since my PC is seeing the module and says there's loopback, does this mean my module isn't burned out? Or what is my problem?

Thanks for your help,

DestroyerX

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-01-01 21:12
    I used a multimeter to test volts on my BS2.

For Vin, I got ~6.13 V

For Vdd, I got ~.81 V

For Rst, I got ~32.6 mV

Are these measurements right?

What is the problem with my BS2 or BOE?

Thanks,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-01-01 21:23
    Clearly there's a problem; Vdd should be 5.00.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-01-02 00:30
    I'm not sure if I'm measuring the correct places.

When I took my measurements, I attached the test leads to pins on the BS2, not the board. Is that where I should be testing?

Sorry, but I don't know too much about the BOE bot.

If I did measure the right place, what could account for such a low reading and my BOE suddenly stop working?

Thanks,

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (DestroyerX) : 1/2/2005 4:01:44 PM GMT
    edited 2005-01-04 00:34
    I talked to a tech support guy, and I'm just gonna send my BOE and BS2 to Parallax for them to test it and hopefully fix it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔