Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Auto Navigating Robotic vehicle Using Basic Stamp BS2 basic Kit — Parallax Forums

Auto Navigating Robotic vehicle Using Basic Stamp BS2 basic Kit

gadgetpatelgadgetpatel Posts: 1
edited 2005-06-21 02:03 in Robotics
I have a video for my work, please do click the link to have a look at it: DEMO VIDEO LINK

Please Click this alternate link incase the above link does not work : ALTERNATE DEMO VIDEO LINK

Well the specialty of my work is that except for the basic stamp nothing lese was ready made, I have made it bit by bit, It navigates using the infrared sensors and the Boe-bot Whisker technique, earlier instead of the whiskers and the infrared led and sensors I tried an ultrasonic sensor, but did not fair well.It was then that I decided to go for the Infrared sensors, but they too did not sense any Black plastics like my Dish washer door, and so I was compelled to use the whiskers. I USE a 12 V battery and the 3 pin regulators (7809, 7805 and LM317) to power the basic stamp and the motors (3v each). The output pins of the Basic stamp directly drive three 5 volts relay (one each to drivw the left and right Motors and the third one for forward & reversing using a DPDT relay to change the polarity of the motor), actually you would see five…relays but as of now 2 of them are un-used, I had intended them to use with some other sensors. The only other fancy sensor is the LDR which gives High/Low to a pin and depending on that I light up the red led headlights.

I was having some problems when I initially implemented the infrared sensors, after 4-5 minutes,The basic stamp would go to a no-return state…I tried every thing, and found out that if I disconnect the motors everything is fine and that’s how, I found that since, the Motor and the basic stamp all share the same ground the small sparks inside the motor are causing interference, and that is causing the Basic stamp to behave abnormal, I should have gone for a bipolar capacitor but did not have one so went ahead and used a 10uf 25 volt which I had spare, one each to the motor ends, and that was it…all smooth.

Chanda Rani Patel ( Chanda Patel )
&
Shrimant Patel

http://patelplanet.com

Post Edited (gadgetpatel) : 12/30/2004 3:27:27 AM GMT
800 x 600 - 215K
800 x 600 - 215K
800 x 600 - 214K
800 x 600 - 209K
800 x 600 - 51K

Comments

• JED1JED1 Posts: 17
    edited 2005-06-20 01:28
    Motor noise (caused by the brushes on the motors) has and will cause any MPU problems if not handled correctly. You used one of the two methods used by most. 1) Provide additional power source filtering which the capacitor does provide. If however the motor current is large then the usual preferred method is to have a separate power source for each the motor and MPU. You may also want to explore the H-bridge solution to controlling your motors instead of the relays. They are quite often refered to as motor controllers and in the RC realm ESP's. Keep on trucking.
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 67
    edited 2005-06-21 02:03
    that is awesome, you did a great job! I like the use of the tamiya tank tread kit(looks like it at least...used to have one a long time ago!!)

very cool to see it in action!!