Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Debug and Web Page Help — Parallax Forums

Debug and Web Page Help

GuidoGuido Posts: 195
edited 2004-12-30 20:21 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to monitor a remote location using the Debug screen. Is there anyway that this could be put on a Web Page.
Thank You
Guido

Comments

• Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2004-12-27 02:38
    Guido,

I pretty new at this... I've had a stamp for 4 days. But I am also wrestling with a similiar question. For the device I am trying to design I'm thinking of using Bluetooth for communication, but my range requirements are fairly short.

A lot will depend on what hardware and comm lines you have at the remote location. If you have a unix box (Linux, or whatever) you could hook up pin1 of the basic stamp, which is serial out, to a comm port. Then have a process that just sucks in whatever is feed to it and stuff it into an file. You'd need to devise a format for the data so that the you could predictable create the desired file. This file could either be an html file or a text file depending on your needs / desires. If the remote box was running a web server, you'd be able to display it directly via the server. Otherwise you'd need to ftp it to the target web server on a periodic basis. Lot's of different ways to accomplish this based upon the specific requirements.

These are my rough thoughts. I sure that others with way more experience with stamps will show me the error in my ways.

Jim

Post Edited (Jim McCorison) : 12/27/2004 2:45:13 AM GMT
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-12-27 07:09
    Jim -

Just so you don't lead yourself astray, any pin port on the Stamp can be used for SERIN/SEROUT. It is suggested that you use an inline resister to prevent any possible overcurrent damage to the pin port, when using other than the DEBUG port. The DEBUG statement is nothing but a specialized SERIN/SEROUT.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-12-27 14:09
    check out www.siteplayer.com for their telnet module
  • GuidoGuido Posts: 195
    edited 2004-12-27 23:07
    Thanks for the Help!!!

Problem is It will be installed in the boonies, I am lucky to have Dial tone. There is no way to get DSL there, unless I want to use satallite....That One web site just dosen't have Dial up....Maybe someone else can help...

Thanks again for your help

Guido
  • SPENCESPENCE Posts: 204
    edited 2004-12-28 00:08
    Guido,

how far is remote and what country are you in? Can you use frs radio? Is it allowed where you are?

spence
    k4kep
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-12-30 20:21
    Well you didn't mention what you had available to transport the web pages. If you have a phone line why don’t you use the modem that parallax sells. http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-00011 I haven't used one yet but I think it will work for what you’re trying to do. Check out the app kit download, they have a remote project in there.