Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp to USB Circuit — Parallax Forums

Stamp to USB Circuit

Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
edited 2005-07-11 13:55 in BASIC Stamp
Well, I finally broke down and got me a new laptop (IBM ThinkPad R51).· Great machine, but no serial port!· I see that Parallax sells a Serial to USB adapter, but thought that it might be fun to roll my own.· The New USB BoE Development Board looks like it has the components in surface mount form, and the documentation manual ·schematic only shows an area called "USB Interface".· Anyone know where to find the scematic and parts list?

Looking forward to introducing my BoEBOT to my new laptop!

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-21 03:35
    Our USB2SER adapter documentation has the schematic for that circuit.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/USB2SERDocs.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2004-12-21 05:17
    But the USB2SER won't program BASIC Stamps - I think the signals are opposite of what they should be for Stamp programming. I'll ask John B. to post a schematic on this thread within the next day of the USB-BOE, or to clarify what needs to change on the USB2SER for Stamp programming.

- Ken
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-21 15:06
    Pick some other project for 'Roll-your-own'. You could do it with the FTDI products -- but you can buy the solution for less than $50.00. The amount of USB test equipment you'll need to validate your design is upwards of $20,000.

USB seems so easy, because it is becoming available everywhere. It is not. It requires the OS to know how to load drivers on-the-fly, it requires you to know where to get the drivers, etc. I think National Semiconductor has a development platform for it.

But it really doesn't make sense to invest all this time and effort into something others are already selling for less than $50.00.
  • John BJohn B Posts: 82
    edited 2004-12-21 17:11
    Hi there,

··· I've given a PDF file of our complete schematic to our webmaster-team.· They will post it on our website shortly.· After reviewing it, if you should have any questions, feel free to contact me directly:

jbarrowman@parallax.com
  • John BJohn B Posts: 82
    edited 2004-12-21 22:17
    Hi again,

· Attached you will find the schematic for the USB BOE.· If for any reason it doesn't come through, here's the URL.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/BOEUSBSchem.PDF
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2004-12-22 00:41
    Thanks for all the help! I think allanlane5 may be on the right track... after taking a look at the USB BOE schematic, it might be more trouble than it is worth... Looks like I will be placing an order for the adapter.

Great holidays to all!

Steve
  • christo1423christo1423 Posts: 19
    edited 2005-07-11 13:55
    I think I have seen something that can do the trick. I believe it was called USBMOD4 or something similar.