Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
H-Bridge — Parallax Forums

H-Bridge

chronisterchronister Posts: 17
edited 2005-01-07 02:21 in Robotics
Hello. I'm trying to design an H-bridge circuit to use to control a large motor. I'd like advice on whether or not this design will work before I build it. The schematic is here:

http://www.ornithopter.org/hbridge.gif

The components I plan to use are two P-channel MOSFETS (P1 and P2 in the schematic), two N-channel MOSFETS (N1 and N2), four schottky diodes, four 100K pull-down resistors to prevent static electricity from turning on the MOSFETS, and two 1K resistors on the inputs to protect the microcontroller.

I wasn't sure where to put the pull-down resistors for the P-channel MOSFETS. Could you please let me know if this is right?

Also, is there some way I can implement a brake, and what changes would that require?

Thanks for your comments. If this gets the approval then hopefully it will be of use to others who may be looking for a simple H-bridge circuit.

Nathan

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams) : 12/12/2004 3:53:53 AM GMT

Comments

• MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-06 15:43
    chronister,

it will probably work, and yes the pull-down resistors are in the right place -bugg
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-01-06 15:45
    (on the brake), just reverse the direction of the inputs for a brief moment. -bugg
  • awassonawasson Posts: 57
    edited 2005-01-07 02:21
    Hey Nathan,

I found a really nice set of schematics at the Nuts and Volts Magazine PDF section:
    www.nutsvolts.com/stmpindx.htm

Get the one called Stamp Applications no. 23 (January 1997)
    utsvolts.com/stampaps/st_ap23.pdf

The half bridge on page seven is really efficient and low on parts. It also has a break which is good. The one on page 8 has a higher parts count and isn't as efficient but it uses a single 6 volt supply.

Of course I found this after I had already built some less than stellar controllers of my own design.

Andrew