Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PDA connect via serial to Boe-bot? — Parallax Forums

PDA connect via serial to Boe-bot?

tarotrocolatarotrocola Posts: 4
edited 2004-12-09 17:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

Anyone knows if its posible to connect a PDA (iPaq 3100) to a BoeBot (Basic Stamp 2) via serial cable??
I know the usual is connect using IR but i'd like try this way...

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2004-12-09 14:29
    It should be possible, at least as long as you don't plan to program the bot from your PDA...

Only one thing to note though; you will need a 'null-modem' adapter because the cable that comes with your PDA is wired to connect to a PC. (A cable meant to connect it to a modem can be used instead, if you can find one)
  • tarotrocolatarotrocola Posts: 4
    edited 2004-12-09 14:45
    Thanks Gadgetman

This is what I want to do:
    I have a program written in C to interact with the BS, and I want to use the same program (with modifications,of course) in the PDA.

Ok, the problem of the cable is solved (I hadnt thought abot that,thanks) , now I have another question... the voltage output is compatible?
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2004-12-09 14:56
    Tarotrocola-

It is definitely possible- I do it every day with my PALM.· As Gadgetman pointed out, you will need a null-modem adapter, as well as a gender-bender to connect the female port plug to the female port of the BOE.· Both of these are availbale at your local Radioshack.· You will also need·a terminal program resident on your iPAQ that will operate in the ranges that the BS2 communicates.· I wrote an application·for the PALM OS·specifically to read the debug data out of a BS2-based datalogger.· I don't know what operating system the iPAQ uses, nor do I know what sort of communication software is available for it, but I'm sure a Google search would turn up something out there.

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2004-12-09 15:29
    Hello,

This can be done using the Blutooth eb500, provided that your PDA has the Bluetooth software.· We have sample code for this project, I've atted it for you.· Here is a link for the eb500 Bluetooth device:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30068·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 12/9/2004 5:51:14 PM GMT
    edited 2004-12-09 16:17
    Ok

Then I've to do this: Serial cable from PDA -> Null Modem Adapter -> Gender Adapter.
    Is necessary a voltage adaptor like MAX232 or something else?
    The operating system in my iPAQ is Linux, familiar 0.6.1 and Opie, the program to interact with de BS2 is in C, also compiled in Linux, I hope it will work in the iPAQ too...

Thanks again!
    500 x 237 - 18K
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2004-12-09 17:13
    Tarotocola-

That is correct if you are using the BS2 on a board of education (BOE).· The RS232 level shifting is handled by the·circuitry on the board that allows communication with the serial port of your computer.· You can just plug it in and send out data via debug or serout commands.· If the BS2 module is going to be used on a circuit board of your own fabrication, you·may need to include a level shifter such as the MAX232cpe, etc.· I have not tested to see whether palm devices (and I have only worked with the various PALM OS's) will respond to TTL level signals.

peter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Peter C. Charles

Director, Research and Technology
    CyberBiota, Incorporated
    Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com
    http://www.cyberbiota.com
    edited 2004-12-09 17:41
    Thanks Peter!

Thats just what I needed to know, your information is very helpful.

Ivan