Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Generator speed control with BS2 — Parallax Forums

Generator speed control with BS2

ArslanArslan Posts: 1
edited 2004-12-11 16:45 in BASIC Stamp
I'm a ME student so don't know much about electronics. I'm designing an engine and will connect its output to a DC generator. But I want the generated voltage to be contant (i.e. constant speed for DC generator). I thought that I can control the generator speed by using a digital potentiometer connected to the output of generator and controlled by a BS2. The problem is that I don't know which potentiometer are suitable for BS2 (there ar bunch of digital pots in www.maxim-ic.com) and how the connections should be made. Anybody knows something about them?
Thanks.
Arslan

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2004-12-09 17:43
    Hello,

In chapter 9 of the "What's a Microcontroller" we have an example using a AD5220.· I don't know what type of voltages that you are generating.· You may have to use the Motor Mind C for this project.· Here are a·couple of·links for the Motor Mind C and the "What's a Microcontroller":·

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30001

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/siccurriculum/documentation_sic_curriculum.asp·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2004-12-11 01:38
    · Hi,

··· How big is your generator ( in Kw )? What are the nameplate ratings? The output voltage is controlled by varying the field voltage. Depending on the type of field control, you may need quite a high voltage at a few amps.

··· If you want to use a stamp, you'll probably be able to use the PWMOUT command to drive a transistor which in turn will apply the voltage to the field.

·You can monitor the generator output voltage with a transducer made of an incandescant lamp shining on a light-dependent-resistor ( photocell ). It will safely isolate the Stamp from the high output voltage plus provide some filtering of the signal. Monitor the photocell with the RCTIME command and adjust the PWMOUT to change the field voltage.

· Good luck.

· Tom
  • agentileagentile Posts: 101
    edited 2004-12-11 16:45
    I would suggest that if you want a constant DC voltage from your generator, monitor the generator terminal voltage instead of the speed.· The output voltage of a DC generator will vary with speed AND current.··So,·speed·sensing will only work at very low output currents.