Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and PC on same RS232 port ? — Parallax Forums

BS2 and PC on same RS232 port ?

BorisBoris Posts: 81
edited 2004-12-07 19:46 in BASIC Stamp
The project im working on consits of:
Device A (w/ rs232 port)>Baud Rate Converter > serial port on BS2sx (BASIC Stamp 2SX OEM Module Assembled)

The·Baud·Rate·Converter and the BS2·are going to be enclosed in a box w/ some other components. Here is the problem:
I will need to do testing/ trouble shooting connecting the enclosure to device A, testing, taking out BS2, hooking it up to PC and changing the code, and back to the start.
I was wondering if its possible to bring out the necessary wires so the BS2 can be programmed w/out taking it out of the enclosure. Are just tx,rx, and gnd needed to program BS2 or some other ones too?
If i have those wires coming out will i be able to "listen in" on the communication between BS2 and Device A, using the PC serial port?

Thank you,

Boris.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-07 19:46
    The BS2 needs TX, RX, Gnd, AND 'DTR'. The DTR signal is used by the IDE to 'reset' the BS2sx and make it ready for the download.

Because of the way the BS2sx sends data on the 'programming port', anything sent to it will be 'echoed' back by the BS2sx hardware.

You might want to install a second serial port -- use one for programming the BS2sx, and one for talking to Device A.
    You would need to add a MAX232 chip plus 4 capacitors to convert the TTL output of the BS2sx to true RS-232.