Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and linux USB — Parallax Forums

BS2 and linux USB

mza3000mza3000 Posts: 6
edited 2010-12-28 19:44 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to program my basic stamp 2 via a USB in linux. So far I've installed the USB driver in linux and now i'm not sure how to program the stamp. any help would be most appreciated.

mza3000

Comments

• roborobo Posts: 2
    edited 2010-12-26 13:09
    How did you get your linux-based computer to run the parralax software off the usb port. Mine does not load the .exe file needed to start the instalation. For reference I use ubuntu with wine. I know this does not solve your problem but could ypu please help me.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-12-26 13:31
    http://www.parallax.com/BASICStampSoftware/tabid/441/Default.aspx Look for the linux software. It also MIGHT work under wine.
  • roborobo Posts: 2
    edited 2010-12-28 18:41
    I got the program to run, it's just that i cant connect to the boe bot because it has to be connected using a serial port and my computer does not have one. The parallax website has a fix for this but wine cant run the installer for the fix so I need to convert one of my usb ports to a serial port so I can program the robot. Every program I've downloaded didnt open in wine or needed to be opened in terminal (wich I dont know how to do) any help is apreciated.

Sorry mza3000 for hijacking your thread. programming the stamp is pretty easy if you read the manual and I can explain almost anything you have questions about, you just need to be more specific.

ROBOTS RULE!!!:cool:
  • jhwattsjhwatts Posts: 35
    edited 2010-12-28 19:44
    Try this. You have to symbolic link your ports under wine. It works best using the stamp editor 2.39. I have problems with any of the later versions. It also seems to work better if you sync your ports prior to installing the software.

From a shell type the following
    cd
    cd .wine
    sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ./dosdevices/com1

This should get you connected to your stamp.

What Linux are you using?