Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DC Voltage Monitor — Parallax Forums

DC Voltage Monitor

Brian DalzielBrian Dalziel Posts: 17
edited 2004-12-05 04:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am looking to monitor and record a battery voltage as it is charging/discharging over a period of time and store the voltage value in the Stamp to lookup later. Does anyone know of a serially-typed interface volt meter or similar that can transmit it's displayed voltage in this fashion? Does Fluke make anything like this, or any other source - I know they make meters that interface to PC with software but I just want the volt value written to the Stamp.

I know this is an odd application but any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks

Brian

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-12-04 11:55
    Hi Brian,

You can use an analog to digital converter (ADC) chip to get the data into your Stamp, there are several of these chips you can use. A resolution of 10 bit (1024 steps) will be about the minimum you need, 12 bit is better.

If you have a plain BS2 I doubt you will get all the data from charge and discharge voltage, in fact you will need to save the currents too, into the tiny EEPROM. for the BS2 is 2 kByte for program and data.

A BS2p or a BS2pe would be more suitable as the have 8 or 16 banks of EEPROM respectively.

Regards and succes,

Klaus
  • TristanTristan Posts: 3
    edited 2004-12-04 17:47
    Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what type of stamp you are intending to use but, Klaus Is right, a BS2p is probably what you want. Besides memory it has 1-Wire capability. Which brings me the point - if you want to monitor a battery the DS2760 from Dallas Semiconductor is very capable. It has 10 bit adc to monitor voltage, a 12 bit adc to measure +/- current flow. I think it also has a thermometer and and it logs total current in or out of the battery and a bunch of other stuff. You can look at the data sheet online and see if it does what you want. If you havn't used 1-Wire before expect to spend a little time reading however.

Good luck.

Tristan
  • Brian DalzielBrian Dalziel Posts: 17
    edited 2004-12-05 04:59
    Thank you both!