Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Did I fry my BS2P? — Parallax Forums

Did I fry my BS2P?

Russ61Russ61 Posts: 11
edited 2004-12-03 02:07 in BASIC Stamp
I just recieved my BS2P today and was going through the Powerpoint presentation, when I got to the point where I was monitoring a push button on Input 8 I connected Vin instead of Vdd to my push button and as soon as I pushed it I got a wier character in my debug screen instead of a 1.· I was using a 9vdc 300ma wallpack to power the stamp's onboard regulator.· Now I get 9vdc across Vin and Vss, but only 1.8vdc across Vdd and Vss.
I thought I probable blew input 8, but it appears to be worse.

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-12-02 13:56
    Does your BS2p get hot? So that you can not hold your finger on it?

Does your editor recognize it? Can you download any program?

Just some questions.

Klaus
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-12-02 14:15
    The on-module regulator is supposed to hold VDD to VSS at 5 volts.

If it is at 1.8 volts, this implies either the regulator is blown, or there is a serious short somewhere.

When you short Vin to a BS2 pin, you may 'short' through the driver on the pin. More typically you 'blow' the driver, so that it is an open. It sounds like you have a short, though.

It would be a good idea to check the current going in to Vin -- it should be less than 50 mA.
  • K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-12-02 14:56
    Allan is right, if you apply 9 Volt to Vin the current should stay below about 50 mA.

I made it a standard procedure, after I fried a couple of Stamps, to raise the voltage slowly and monitor the current at the same time. I do this every time I made a change to a board and it probably saved the life of some of my Stamps smile.gif.

Klaus
  • Russ61Russ61 Posts: 11
    edited 2004-12-03 02:07
    Thanks all,

I'm pretty sure that I killed my stamp!

To answer your questions Klaus, no my bs2p does not get hot, and my editor will not recognize it.

I've learned a lesson, next time I'll have a regulated 5vdc power supply and will not have the 9vdc anywhere close to my project board!

RWC